Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermal analysis of SHELL132 layered structure radiation applied

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblingbeeble

Aerospace
Sep 9, 2011
GB
Hi,

I have created a panel, using SHELL132, of 3 layers. Having read a good number of posts on this forum, I tried using SURF152 to create surface elements. I have included an extra node, to which I applied a temperature.

So, structure created, SHELL132 properties applied and meshed. SURF152 elements created on top, with extra space node. Temperature applied to the space node only. I am working in SI units, so no offset temp. As it is a radiation problem, I have set to full Newton Rhapson method. Next stage *solve* - error, not all nodes have a temperature, recommends setting either temperature for the list of nodes or a uniform temperature. As I am modelling a panel for a satellite, I set a uniform temperature of 3K (representing deep space). Again - try *solve* - it runs, but any and every step and substep shows a temp of 3K for all nodes except the space node.

I think that setting a uniform temperature has caused the problem, I thought the uniform temperature was the ambient, is this correct? If it isnt, how can I either set an ambient temperature or an initial temperature for the non-space nodes of my model?

As an alternative to having a node radiating to the model, I also tried applying a heat flux on one surface (of 1400W/m^2, approximation of flux received at Earth from Sun). This gave me numerous error messages and warnings about an unconstrained model, which I dont really understand.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you have most of the correct components to me... I'm relatively new to this too, but have been working on numerous radiation problems recently. I read somewhere (I can't currently find the reference) about radiation from surfaces to nodes and conversely from nodes to surfaces. I think the setup may be subtely different, I'm not sure. Flash3780 has posted some useful links in response to my posts but there's one I know of that I can't find right now, it's essentially the radiation manual - that might have some tips in there for you.

I'll have a think in the mean time, see if I can get radiation working "the other way around" to what I have conventionally been doing. I'll let you know - good luck in the mean time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back