Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thick shell for FEA modes analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungi

Geotechnical
Jul 21, 2003
DE
Hallo everbody,

i'm looking for someone, who has experience in using thick shell elements in FEA normal modes extraction. I've just compared volume to thin shell and it's a dissaster :( .

Especially using quadrilateral shell elements (!) i obtain different results computing the same mesh using Lanczos solvers from different commercial packages (ideas, Ansys) I get discrepancies up to 40Hz!. I wonder if thick shell formulation would be a better substitute for volume modelling (computational time) than thin shell meshes?

thanks in advance for any suggesrtions!

greetings

Artur

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyway it shouldn't show such differences - and as I said before I always use the same model! The type, size and order of form function are exactly the same!!! I compared the formulation for different software using their theoretical manuals they are all the same!!! And still if by any chance the interpretation is different, so I still can't understand those vast differences that occur.

If you don't know what a DKT formulation is (which is the formulation SHELL63 uses) then you didn't read the manuals that closely...what happens if you compare results from SHELL63 and SHELL181 in ANSYS?

…my preprocessor uses elements called TRIA6, 6-Nodes, 6-DOF (second order shell element) they are converted into SHELL 93 for ANSYS and type ID 92 (universal file description) for Ideas, both 6-Nodes, 6-DOF… I’ll conduct the comparison between SHELL63 and SHELL181 for Ansys… I’ll post here the results when ready…

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back