Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thicken surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnab

Automotive
May 1, 2006
US
I used catia v5 GSD & extracted the surface of solid by eliminating extra feature. Now, i'm trying to thicken the surface using part design but getting error message:
" local degenration on surface body can't be built"

Is there any othe approach can apply?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you've already got a solid, they maybe you could use shell. This would allow you to apply an inside and outside thickness to each surface of the solid.

Johnab - Part Design work bench is used for solids, GSD is used for surfaces. If you want to offset the surface, go back into GSD and choose offset surface. Like all softwares - they are not perfect on complicated offsets you may receive that error. Catia prefers more tangental surfaces for offset.

Regards,
Derek

If you've already got a solid, they maybe you could use shell. This would allow you to apply an inside and outside thickness to each surface of the solid.

If you can't offset a surface, the same condition that prevents the offset would also prevent a shell operation.

Just because you have a solid, certainly doesn't make it viable, by any stretch of the imagination. I find that about 90% of the time, when I disassemble an imported solid, I can't put it back together. It can also happen with native solids, if poor modeling practices have been used, or if sliver surfaces exist.

A local degeneration is most likely an inverted normal. Try making a very thin offset, like .005". If it works, you are attempting to exceed a maximum radius offset somewhere along the surface with your larger value. (before it becomes a sharp corner, or loses tangency to a thin adjacent surface) You may also want to try the offset in both directions. If it doesn't work in either direction, you have some other problem. Before joining or offsetting the surfaces, run a surface connect check. If the surfaces are already joined, use the "boundary" function, to check for other domains within the boundaries of the surface. If you have any, it means that you have gaps or overlaps.

Good luck.

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back