Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thickening Surface offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcmoore

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2004
CA
I have a part with alot of surfaces. When i attempt to thicken the part to the inside it will thicken 0.84mm but no less. it will thicken any larger amount but not any thinner.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've run into a similar issue before, but I don't have any solution for it. I quickly made a surface body to test some ideas on this issue, but I was unable to figure anything concrete out. If you could describe your surface part, then I might be able to help you figure it out. When I did run into something in my quick test, it appeared that one of the surface portions had folded over on itself in a few locations which made the thicken command fail. Aside from that, I don't have much to tell you.

What error message do you get when attempting to thicken to less than 0.84mm?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I've had that happen, too. I think it normally has something to do with whether a surface can be properly offset by the distance you specified--and thin is sometimes a problem. Thick will eliminate small-radius curvature surfaces completely, and therefore eliminate the problem of offsetting such a surface.

So I think it's ultimately a problem of having small radius curvature in your surface. Small offsets try to offset too small a radius, whereas larger offsets bypass this problem (in a matter of thinking) by going past the zero-radius offset and regenerating the surface beyond the small-radius curvature.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back