Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thin Walled Nozzles through Thick End Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2006

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
GB
We have a design of a Flat Ended Jacketted vessel which has thin (schedule 10) nozzles which pass through the Jacket End Plate to the Shell End Plate into the vessel.
The Jacket End Plate is approx 25mm thk and the nozzles are around 2-3mm wall thickness.
Due to the order of build we can only weld the nozzles to the Jacket End Plate form the outside.
Where can I find a weld detail to allow me to size the welds ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are at FIG. UW-16.1 (v-1) and (w-1)
(be aware of note 3)

You also have the option of FIG. UW-16.1 (a), which is single side weld – with full penetration of nozzle thickness.

Shmulik

I see what you mean regarding UW-16 (V-1)(W-1) but these show an internal weld.
If my weld is external will this still be valid.

Thanks

FIG. UW-16 (V-1)(W-1) regarded to internal weld only. See UW-16 (e)(2).
FIG. UW-16 (t) regarded to external weld, but a min groove depth of 6 mm is required. It seems to be too much for a thin wall of Sch. 10 nozzle you have. See UW-16 (e)(1).

Be aware that both options permitted for NPS 6" max.

If you really don't have an access to apply an internal weld, I think you should take the option of FIG. UW-16 (a).

Lee2006, if you are designing / stamping to Sec VIII, Div 1, see minimum nozzle thickness, UG-45. Your pipe may fall below the minimums.

Regards,

Mike

If so, Lee, I don't see a way going through with sch. 10 pipe.
I would suggest you take sch. 40 pipe that may let you apply external jacket weld acc. to FIG. UW-16 (t) , and a better reasonability to comply with UG-45 (depends on your designed / required corrosion allowance).

Lee2006, IF you are working to Sec VIII, Div. 1, see also Mandatory Appendix 9 for design rules for jacketed vessels.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back