Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Things they forgot to mention in the interview 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

tz101

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2005
US
How many have been the victim of lack of full disclosure by their organization in the interviewing process? Seems like things have gone from bad to worse in this area for me over the past couple decades. Everything from springing overly restrictive non-disclosure agreements on the day of orientation, to not telling me that seven day work weeks were the expected norm. Any tales to tell?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dkjfnvfd said:
I'm in a white-collar union but I find it pretty useless. The unions for tradespeople and service staff close the plants down and block the traffic whenever they don't like something, whereas ours spends years "negotiating" on things behind closed doors that seem to go nowhere. Perhaps it's because a white-collar union includes too many people who sympathise with management or are aware of the company budget
We have a great union at our national laboratory for the professionals compared to the trades and technicians. We always get inflationary and merit raises, but benefits have stalled to 2000 levels. Everyone on the executive (except maybe one) of the union has no f**ks to give if they become managers. I know I have no reason to become a manager because I won't get a pay raise worth leaving the union. The company is too stupid to pay management what they are worth so great people have zero incentive to become management. We were the ones that almost shut down the site. Professionals are less confrontational and likely to strike but if you cut total compensation they will walk.

In ductility we trust.

CWB1 said:
My least favorite past employer was so poorly organized that my supervisor assigned new tasks almost daily.

Unfortunately, I have seen that a time or two also. It always makes me wonder how "management" does not realize that jerking engineers from one project to the other in quick succession inevitably leads to more mistakes and errors.

tz101 said:
It always makes me wonder how "management" does not realize that jerking engineers from one project to the other in quick succession inevitably leads to more mistakes and errors.
My analogy to this is 'an insane asylum aboard an oil tanker'. People running in-and-out all the time giving the helmsman differing orders and changing priorities. But an engineering project is like an oil tanker. If you want to turn it, it takes miles no matter how much and how fast you shift the rudder.

It always makes me wonder how "management" does not realize that jerking engineers from one project to the other in quick succession inevitably leads to more mistakes and errors.

Especially given that a main theme of both agile and lean philosophies is that multitasking causes waste, both in terms of time lost and rework.

Knowing something and doing are two very different things
> we know we're not supposed to overeat, but we do
> we know we're not supposed to procrastinate, but we do
> we know we're not supposed to smoke or inhale tobacco products, but we do

These are life-shortening thing, so presumably demand higher compliance; if we can't do that, how can we compliant to things that are merely efficient for business?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Just here to contribute a sample point to the data. I found that most employers I worked for lied during the interview.

What I've learnt is to never give any value to subjective claims such as "career development" and "working on interesting projects". Rather, add-up all the quantifiable and quantifiable statements when assessing how good the job is (or isn't). If possible, everything discussed in the interview should be presented in writing (in the offer letter or employment contract). Any funny stuff (especially in the employment offer/contract) early on means run away, unless you have no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back