Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinking about doing a Master's

Status
Not open for further replies.

impeller1

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2009
TT
Good day,

Well im 24 and graduated with my BSc in Mechanical Engineering in 2008. I've been working since then and now I'm looking at doing a Masters. I'm looking at doing it in Canada but I noticed most of the degrees they offer is an MEng or MSc on Mechanical Engineering. I was thinking to do the MEng, however, I noticed that it's very technical and most of them don't present themselves with any management type courses. What I want to know, is if you do the MEng, even though it may not have much or anything to do with management, would employers still consider you for a managerial position? I mean yes your pay should increase as your technical knowledge does, but would they consider you for that managerial type position? Or do you absolutely require a degree in Engineering Management or even an MBA for that reason.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to be recognized and the manager type, and do good work, to be a manager.
If your goal is to be a manager and you're not sure about the MEng degree, why not go for an MBA?

But, having only a BSc is suffice to be a manger if you are good enough to be promoted to management.

Either way, you can benefit getting either master degree, can't hurt.

Chris
SolidWorks 09 SP4.1
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

I thought about the MBA. But I would like to increase my technical knowledge as well. I dont want to be one of those managers who barks orders and doesn't know what they're talking about :) Which is why I wanted to sort of mix the courses I do.

But as you said, either degree can't hurt I guess

You don't 'have' to be the type of manager that barks orders. The managers that do that are not happy.
You seem you want the education and experience, this will make you a better manager. Work on being a very good engineer and employee, the management position will come your way eventually.
Good luck!

Chris
SolidWorks 09 SP4.1
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

I've been fortunate to work for numerous folks that didn't have MBA's.

Draw your own conclusion.

There have been threads on here before, including some that addressed some type of masters that was engineering based but with a management flavor or something like that, can't remember the details but try searching and see what you can find.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Some schools offer a MSc degree or MEng in engineering with management as a minor...

[peace]
Fe

I still have no idea what a master in engineering does career wise for an engineer. All the managers I worked under were basically older guys who were good engineers and could get a team of people working to make the budget. Work experience seems key to that.

Civil Development Group, LLC
Los Angeles Civil Engineering specializing in Hillside Grading

There are some schools that also have a combined MS/MBA degree, where you use some of your engineering classes as electives for the MBA. This program typically takes 3 years for the 2 degrees.

I just finished my masters, and like others have hinted at, it seems to become irrelevant after a few years of working. Even with a masters, there's still alot to learn on the practical side of engineering. I think the biggest benefit would be that it could open up more job opportunities (there are many structural firms that won't hire an engineer out of school without a masters).

That's the thing people generally get wrong about the MSc.. It's meant to train you how to research, not necessarily, the how to's of practical engineering.....

Don't forget, research is the only way we have to beget new knowledge.

[peace]
Fe

Deciding on which fork of that path to take between staying technical and heading toward management can be tough. If you are heading for management, study management. As a manager it would be better if you were not a technical expert. You risk the problem of assuming you know more then your direct reports and over ruling someone who has the right answer ending up with both a wrong answer and a disenfrancised employee. As a manager you must trust (and verify?) the technical competance of the people on your team. If you want to stay technical, go for the MEng or MSc. Be that subject matter expert. You may need that gravitas to go against a manager who thinks they know more then you. In this case it makes more sense to choose the school by finding the professor who specialized in the technical subject you want to master such as corrosion or composites or failure analysis etc. What ever interests you most.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

I couple people have hit the nail on the head. Education does not make a good manager! It will help, as will experience.

I am staying nothing new just seconding others notions.

The engineering manager at my job does not even have a HS diploma. He just has tons of experience.

There is only one Masters... and I am not sure it is helping him at PM.

My personel oppionion on the MEng is that it is a money grab for the university. I was accepted into an MEng program with Waterloo University in Canada, and my company was even going to pay for it. I declined after giving it some serious thought. out of the 12 or so courses offered I had already completed 9 of them during my (6 year) bacherlor program. My girlfriend at the time was completeing the program herself, she had completed about 7 of the required 9 courses. It wasn't that hard. They didn't get into techincal aspects nearly as much as I saw in my undergrad. Again, it really just seemed like a money grab for the university.

The only thing an MEng will get you from a business perspective is a pat on the back and maybe someone will buy you a coffee. It is not as valuable as a M.Sc.

The M.Eng is not even comparible to an MBA in regards to moving up through a companies managment system. However, it is usually more difficult to get an engineering company to pay for your MBA as opposed to an MEng.

Hey hey, no comparing MEng to MBA's here.....

The courses should be at least as difficult as you undergrad courses. If not, then the university (or your perspective) is really off the rocker...

Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting MEng's.

[peace]
Fe

If you want to be a chartered mechanical engineer in the UK or Australia then your degree has to be a masters. Otherwise you will not get chartered engineers status from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers of Institution of Engineers Australia.

The signatories to the Washington and other accords have signed off on the academic standards required.

There are plenty of management positions in engineering. Sadly too many are filled by people who did not complete their technical training. I don't mean BSC either. You need to spend ten years at least doing the engineering before you can contemplate managing others or you will just not command the respect you deserve as a boss.

stanier, it's been a little while since I looked at UK CEng and it was definitely headed the direction you mention but when did it cut in across the board? There were still a number of exceptions when I was looking, this was through the RAeS.

For the last ten years you needed a masters degree to get C.Eng.

Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right but you're probably more up on it than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back