Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thread560-496720 Hello Everyone,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphus

Automotive
Mar 9, 2023
IN
thread560-496720
Hello Everyone,

referring to this equation I have created a design shown below:-
Capture_fay9tp.jpg

But how will we create the shim end. as we can see in the below image the amplitude of the wave is reducing proportionally to a flat design. can anyone help me out?
1_ustnad.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an entirely different approach to this problem than was previously discussed that should allow you to easily tailor the amplitude/pitch to your hearts desire. It simplifies the problem so you only have to worry about the path/equation on a 2D plane; then revolves it around a cylinder. See process steps below (it does require a Developed Shapes 1 (DL1) license). I attached a couple pictures from my proof of concept model as well (I did it quick so the waves don't line up right but the principle is there).

[ol 1]
[li]Create a cylindrical surface that is the diameter you would like the spring to be.
[/li]
[li]On a flat plane next to the cylinder, create a curve that represents the flattened out path that you would like the spring to take. This can be accomplished with a sketch or any combination of wire frame elements (parameterize away). Keep in mind the circumference of the cylinder from step 1 as that will be the linear period.
[/li]
[li]Develop the curve from step 2 onto the surface. This will create a guide curve for your sweep.
[/li]
[li]Create a rib along the curve just as before.
[/li]
[/ol]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1678684259/tips/2023-03-12_21-56-42_aswkat.bmp[/url]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1678684290/tips/2023-03-12_21-57-33_hrueld.bmp[/url]

Interesting solution, I'd like to see the OPs results. My version is rough and simple, wouldn't bother digging more into it as the design was dropped during preparation.

Both models look like reasonable solutions - Wuzhee's and weagan22's. They solve slightly different aspects. The Wuzhee solution is much simpler to adapt to other sizes and one might even simplify it and skip the wavy part if speed and time are required and still build the ends for installation constraints, coming back to the waves later - plus those nice flat surfaces are great for mating constraints.

weagan22's version is more elegant at handling the transitions and would look much better in a technical publication; the mating constraints will likely work, so I can't say it won't but it's one more approximation being added to the mix. I have used it for the transitions on wire springs.

I have used both depending on time and how large the component will appear in the finished work.

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.I am trying both methods to create this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back