Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

three-phase Motor Tropicalized. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanGomez

Electrical
May 5, 2008
ES
About three-phase induction motors,

1 .- Someone knows exactly mean an "3 phase motor tropicalized"?
2 .- Normal Isolation is the same as tropicalized?
3 .- Is there any standard (IEC, ANSI, IEEE, UNE, etc.) or document that tropicalization this detail?
4 .- What kinds of isolation existing F/H. ..? any standard datails this?

I know the tropicalization is directly related to environmental conditions where they will install the equipment, especially relative humidity, (marine coastal areas, lakes, etc.).

If having any document or where standard reference, please send me that the need this references.

For example in the specifications indicated:

-- 50-60Hz, 3 phases
-- Isolation F ---> What means?
-- Isolation tropicalized ---> What exactly is?
-- IP55
-- Aluminum casing
-- Capacity Use variable speed

Thank you.
Juan Gomez.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sreid.

Thanks for the link.

This is a good general information, But is very short, I´m searching for a guide or specification or standard or more information about this.

greetings
Juan Gomez

isolation means insulation class F as rated by IEEE or NEMA (155 deg max temp)

tropicalized means the winding was coated with anti-fungal treatment

I worked in Bougainville, PNG for a couple of years. The motors we had were "Tropicalized", the medium voltage ones had a heater winding that turned on while not running.
Roy

hvymetl, RoyDMatson & sreid.

Thanks for the information.

The insulation now is clear for me.

But the "tropicalized" still doing a doubt for me, maybe are the 2 things (treatment windings and the heater when the motor is off), but the ideal is still getting a standard or technical guide explained where to make reference in my technical specifications.

Thanks again.
Juan Gomez

My understanding is that "tropicalization" refers to an anti fungal coating.
The heaters are used as protection against condensation. This is a separate issue that is often found in the tropics, but also in other climates.
As in; "Tropicalized AND condensation protected".
Both good ideas in the tropics.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Hi Warros.

I´m Agree with your ideas, the "Tropicalized AND condensation protected", but the really is that technical specifications about motors, says for example:
-- 50-60Hz, 3 phases
-- Isolation F
-- Isolation tropicalized
-- IP55
-- Aluminum casing
-- Capacity Use variable speed

Not says explicit "heaters in the motor" (normally only in the datails specifications). Only Says tropicalized.

My client specifications says, "all motor must be tropicalized", now the question is not only for this client espec, is for general information.

Thanks, Again.

JuanGomez
According to my little red Hawker Siddeley Brook Crompton book "Installation and Maintenance of Electric Motors":
Tropic Proof Treatment
Argus 55 motors
(these are the IP55 range of motors they manufactured)have Tropic Proof treatment as a standard feature. Where the most extreme conditions are specified then motors can be supplied to BS 1014:1963. This involves special treatment as follows:
Adoption of specially selected castings fully primed with phosphate primer.
Windings, laminations and all metal parts including fastenings and brushgear, where involved, treated with fungicidal varnish.
All frame assembly joints specially machined to ensure particularly close fit.
All machine faces and shaft extension protected with corrosion proof lacquer.

I checked the old British Standard BS 1014:1963 as the year gave me a clue that it may not still be valid. There are no signs of it but the closest could be BS EN 60721-3-7:1996, IEC 60721-3-7:1995.

oz,

Are those little books still available? My copy has a Brook Hansen badge on the front but regardless of that they are a fantastic little reference. They seem to have vanished from the website.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Scotty
I don't think so. I've had this one for about 15 yrs and is getting a little dog-eared. I've never seen it on a website actually.

ozmosis.

Thanks for the standard references, I´m traying to find in IEC 60721-3-7:1995 (Classification of environmental conditions. Part 3: Classification of groups of environmental parameters and their severities. Section 7: Portable and non-stationary use.) this references.

The description about "Tropic Proof Treatment" is very good.

At the beginning I thought it would be easier to find a precise reference, but I see that the issue is not as clear as I thought about the tropicalizacion

Thanks again.

1.Standards
For Insulation tropicalized:
IEC 60068 Environmental testing
IEC 60721 Classification of environmental conditions
Nema MG-1
For IP Code [IP55]
IEC 60529 Degrees of protection provided by enclosures (IP code)
classifies the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in electrical enclosure. See:
2-Tropicalization of equipment is protecting the components from the elements that surround them. This can be done by coating the components, called conformal coating. But this causes the components to heat up. I think this procedure is now obsolete.
NEMA TEFC [Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled] is better I guess. Totally Enclosed, Hostile and Severe Environment if it is really required. [See NEMA MG-1, -13]
The usual "tropical" conditions are
Temperature: 50°C
Humidity: 90 %
3-Maximum Operation Temperature Allowed for an insulation class:
4-for variable speed
Standard motors can be fed from VSD (variable Speed Drives). Providing motor with filters [Du/dt and common mode] will reduce the stress in winding and current circulation on bearings.
May be this link is useful:
5- Aluminum enclosure for induction motor is a standard construction. See:
Regards

Thanks 7anoter4.

Your information is so complete.

I use your information and the another replys to continue with my tech spec.

Greeting.
Juan Gómez

Oz,

It was available mail order for only £10, a bargain if ever there was one. Since Brooks closed the UK factories it must have gone the journey, possibly along with the QA dept based upon the last mtors we had from them. A shame to lose good data sources like that little book.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back