Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thrust Block for Air Cooler Header Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

yl0525

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2008
SG
Dear all,

I am rather new to air cooler design. One of my customer has requested me to design a thrust block for the header box recently but I have no idea how it looks like and where to start off.

Appreciate if anyone here could provide an image or sketch etc.. for this thrust block for my better understanding. Also please advise how should I start to design? Any approach or program that I can look for?

Lastly is thrust block only applicable to split headers? What if it is a single pass bundle?

I have actually revert to customer for more information yet they replied that the thrust block is nothing but the construction same as sliding plate assembly. Is that true?

Your reply is deemed precious to me.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yl0525,

I've been working with and designing air coolers for over thirty years. The term "thrust block" has never come up in that time. It's obviously not a commonly used term. Don't feel bad if it's new to you. I would just ask the customer what he means by that and what its purpose is. Then it's his problem.

Regards,

Speco (

Hi Speco,

Your words calmed me, thank you.

Yes in fact I have wrote back to the customer for more information yet they replied that "the thrust block is nothing but the construction same as sliding plate assembly". Any guidance for this sliding plate?

Best Rgds,
YL0525

yl0525,

I suppose that different manufacturers have taken different approaches to allow one or both headers to "float" to allow for thermal expansion of the tubes. Here is one that I am familiar with. The header has a tab on each end. The tab slides into a kind of sheet metal pocket on the side channel. Typically the floating header is locked in place during shipment, and the locking bolts are removed during the installation.

Regards,

Speco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back