Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timber Shear Wall to Eurocode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ltimmis

Structural
Nov 8, 2012
GB
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am having trouble finding guidance on designing a timber shear wall to EC. If anyone knows of any useful documents and or worked examples I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Laura T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Yes, a wall diaphragm is probably a better way of discribing it.

I have a small single storey timber building constructed from timber stud walls with plywood boarding. The external walls are timber stud inner leaf with a brick slip cladding system on the external face.

Although instinct tells me that the external wall panels will be sufficent I wouls still like to check them as a diaphragm so that I am satisfied that the building has lateral stability.

I haven't actually designed a timber wall for shear before.

Not too sure about the Eurocode timber shear wall design but they all seem to be similar in principle. I use AS1720 and AS1684 (Australian standards) which have standard designs with capacities. I actually went through the full calc's one day for my own interest more than anything and found that the standard designs were based on either a 900mm or 1200mm length of sheathed wall section. The Australian standard assumes a linear increase in strength and stiffness with increased length but I think that the wall becomes much stiffer and stronger with length.

This file with give you the basic principles. You will need to find E values, G values and nail slip values from the Eurocodes or manufacturers products to solve. There is also a Naeim sesimic design handbook that also runs through an excellent example of designing plywood shear walls written to American codes but the principles can be easily transferred to Eurocodes. Units are a bit harder to grasp though. Good anchorage is key as well. I always provide hold-down from the base to the top plate will steel rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back