time period in abaqus implicit-quasi-static

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chen1

Geotechnical
Jun 29, 2013
US
Hello,

I know that the time period is irrelvant in the static analysis, so the default is 1.0.

I am using abaqus implicity with quasi-static (*Dynamic, application = quasi-static, initial = no)

the model is just uniaxial compression test for a piece of rock, however due to material and contact non-linearity, the static approach does not converge.

The question is, what should be the time period? is it one like the static analysis? or i should input the the actual time period.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand correctly, you are using Standard (the implicit solver) to model uniaxial compression. What material model are you assuming? What geometry are we talking about (2D/3D)? Which type of contact formulation are you using (small/finite, node-to-segment vs. segment-to-segment, etc.)?

Now, how do you know it is the material or contact nonlinearities that are the reason for non-convergence? Are the two parts in contact at the start of the analysis? What warning/error messages are you receiving in .msg/.dat files?

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQ:

the model is 3D model, the contact is finite strain surface to surface contact. i could not simulate the softening behavior using static analysis. i found that abaqus implicit dynamic helped me overcome the convergence problem. i solved that model without softening, it works without problem.

so the question is: does the time scale is relevant in the quasi-static analysis or not. you know, the time scale is irrelevant in the static analysis.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back