Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time savings 3D Cad Designs VS Hand drawings 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Does anyone know what percentage in time a design is reduced in hours based on design being done using a 3D Cad system (Solidworks)? Instead of hand drawings.

Need some numbers to help justify purchasing software for company.

Thanks, in advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm (almost) in the same boat as EngineerErrant. I graduated in '07 with a BSME as well. Engineering 101 taught AutoCAD and Pro/E. However, I took Engineering Graphics 1 my freshman year of HS. The first half of the semester we actually learned board drafting. The second half, we moved to AutoCAD. Even then, I remember thinking to myself how much quicker and easier it was to use AutoCAD. I continued taking engineering/CAD classes, and I ended up getting an internship my junior year, and that's when I started using SolidWorks. So within my first 3 years of being in engineering classes I learned board drafting, AutoCAD and SolidWorks from scratch. I couldn't even imagine going back to AutoCAD at this point, let alone board drafting. I also agree with EE's final point... The ability to see what your designs ACTUALLY look like before spending the time/money to make them is almost worth the investment itself.

Good morning.
The reason behind my question, even though yes it makes sense why would a company not already understand that $5K (or what ever cost) is not worth it. Guess some companies where the pencil pushers who control the money don't understand design and watch very closely cost spending. These type of people want to be shown exactly why engineering is spending money...To them the pretty pie charts, endless comparison graphs and printouts is what they want to see before saying go ahead and spend the money.

EngineerErrant,

I graduated in 1982, and my on-board drafting training was minimal. I learned lettering and clean line-work, on the job.

This stuff used to be taught in technical high schools. Failing that, you find a job with someone who has the patience to let you figure it out.

Critter.gif
JHG

This has been a lively, informative, and entertaining discussion. designmr, since you started this and in particular referencing your most recent reply might I suggest you provide hard numbers to the bean counters. You don't really even have to do it yourself. Simply find a design firm and ask them to quote doing a project with only board drafting vs. 3D CAD. Good luck even finding someone to quote it on the board. Take THAT to the counters!

- - -Updraft

designmr,
You have not said in these discussions what it is your company draws. Are they small one piece items. or is it a process plant 6 stories high with interconnected machinery on every floor.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Updraft. I actually found a web site:

So that satisfied my boss, who would pass it to his boss, who would, and so on and so on.....

Berkshire.
Funny this is a global Aerospace company, founded in 1883, there is a bit of old fashion thinking going on here. The company already uses, AutoCad, Solidworks, I believe even a couple seat of Solid Edge. Guess to get a couple more licenses, someone up above wants numbers.....

When a manager instantly says " show me some numbers so I can justify it up the chain of command " My first thought is..." hey I just told you what you NEED to know. Now get off your lazy butt - do your job - and manage. Make it a reality. If he doesn't get what it is that I'm consulting him about, then that typically furthers the thought of my asking why he's in a management position in the first place.

designmr (Mechanical)
Based on your latest answer, you already KNOW, how long it takes to draw by hand versus CAD, since you already have Autocad and 3D parametric modeling programs in house. Can you not find solid information in house to justify another seat to the annoying bean counter?
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back