Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

timed light circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsteve80

Chemical
Aug 7, 2009
US
I want to make as simple a circuit as possible, but can't figure this one out (I'm a ChE, so go easy on me).

I want a circuit with 2 LED's - one red and one green. A clock will turn off the green and turn on the red every 12 hours (at 5 am and 5 pm). If someone pushes a button at any point, the lights will switch, red off, green on, until the next 5 o'clock rolls around. ie: if someone presses the button at 6:00, the green light will be on for 11 hours, but if someone presses it at 4:45, it will only be on for 15 minutes.

I have a 12V DC source.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at DigiKey for timers ( or Mouser ( Have a push button activate a relay that turns on/off the LEDs, and then the relay output latches the input (like the button is still pushed) until the master timer resets everything at your 5 AM/PM intervals.

I'm curious how long this can run before you'll need to reset the timing for 24 hour accuracy.

12V is good for LEDs; red LEDs typically need 1.8V, and green LEDs typicaly need 2.1V, so for 10mA through a red LED you'll want a ((12-1.8)V/0.010A =) 1000 ohm resistor in series with the red LED. The green LED will need a ((12-2.1)/10mA = ) 1K resistor. If your LEDs take more or less power then recalculate the current limiting resistor with the above equations.

John D

Because of the real time clock requirement, it might be a good application for an old computer that you'd otherwise discard.

Or just a cron job on one that's already there.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Not only that, but just alternating the colors will make it impossible for any operator to determine whether the operation has been done or not.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back