Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tipping Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faktor

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2008
US
Here's the problem in basic form:
I want to calculate how much load it would take to tip over a light pole structure that is just mounted to a base plate which is not secured to the floor. Basically this is the same kind of problem a portable basketball hoop faces.

1. What is the correct technical terminology for tipping load?
2. How is this calculated?

Forgive my ignorance...this is not my typical specialty but I'm working on a project for a friend and thought I could help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will tip over when a vertical line from the centre of gravity of the base and pole is outside the base.

The load, horizontal to the base, will depend on how high up the pole it is applied, what is the weight of the base and pole and where is the centre of gravity of the base and pole.

I think most would agree that overturning is the word rather than tipping.

You pick a point about which the pole will rotate, probably the edge of the base plate. Sum the resisting moments, which will be just the masses of the pole, base plate, and any attachments, times their respective lever arms. Then sum the overturning moments in the same manner. When the ratio of overturning moment to resisting moment exceeds 1.0, the pole will 'tip'.

Didn't you pay attention in your statics class? Probably like me in thermodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back