Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Titanium pressure vessel according EN code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornemo

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2009
NL
I have to design a titanium pressure vessel (ASTM B-338 or equivalent), but the client insists that it must be designed according to a European code.
EN 13445 is the European code for unfired pressure vessels, but is only applicable to vessels manufactured from steels, spheroidal graphite cast iron and aluminium.

Is there a European design code for pressure vessels made of titanium? If so, which code do I have to look for? If not, how to deal with this issue (apart from using ASME VIII)?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PD5500 is officially replaced by the BS EN 13445.
I know it is still updated and can still be used. But EN 13445 will be leading in this case (vessel to be delivered in Europe). Is there no real EN code for titanium pressure vessels?

I think I go for ASME VIII making it a worldwide accepted vessel. Let's hope the client is OK with it.

I'd recommend checking with the client first. Wouldn't want to design the vessel only to have it rejected.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Probably a little late to respond but I'd recommend PD 5500. PD 5500 contains specific guidance on Titanium vessels. I'd also be interested why your client insisted on using a European vessel code, there is no reason why ASME vessels cannot be used in Europe provided extra steps are taken to ensure compliance with the Pressure Equipment Directive. I believe ASME published a book outlining what is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back