Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

to learn programming with FEA and CAD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bora

Civil/Environmental
Feb 15, 2000
TR
How can I create an FEA program and where must I begin from ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This question is very difficult to answer. It is similar to -&quot;how can I create an automobile and where must I begin from&quot;. As is typical, a simple question is usually very difficult to answer. However, too often as we develop in our professions we forget or give up asking &quot;simple&quot; questions. Where would we be if Henry Ford did not ask these questions.<br>
First of all narrow down your intent.<br>
1) What do you want this proram to do? I've developed some <br>
FEA routines on a programmable calculator.<br>
2) How much time and money do you want to spend?<br>
Some powerful FEA programs cost as much as a car, so why reinvent the wheel?<br>
3) What is your backround? Do you have mathematical and programming skills, preferably at the graduate level? Can you afford tho hire these people or spend the time to acquire these skills?<br>
FOCUS-FOCUS-FOCUS; and don't forget to occasionallly ZOOM-OUT as you have done with your broad question!<br>
Good-luck! <p> <br><a href=mailto: ttracewicz@atsspartec.on.ca> ttracewicz@atsspartec.on.ca</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Assumption 1) You want to write your own program from the ground up.<br>
<br>
Have you taken a theoretical FEA class? If not, then I highly recommend it. The math is very complex. If you do not understand the math then your program will not work. BTW, FEA theory classes tend to be Master's level and for good reason. I was a senior undergrad and the math was at my limit. Be prepared for working with partial differential equation matrices. (And if you didn't understand that, don't bother writing the program.)<br>
<br>
Assumption 2) You want to write a script or a couple of routines for a FEA engine/program such as strudl or ansys.<br>
<br>
I don't have any books to recommend. Mine is 10+ years old and very theoretical. There are several books on each of the major FEA programs. However, there is a lot more to understanding FEA than just typing the correct formats for the program's statements. For instance, which element types do you use for which geometry and stress case? You might be able to find a good book to cover this. I suggest taking a class at an engineering college. <br>
<br>
If anyone else knows a good book on FEA practice (not theory), I'd be interested in it also. <p> Imagineer<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back