Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

To P.E. or not to P.E.? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychro

Mechanical
May 9, 2003
PR
Sometimes I question the validity of the licensing process because sometimes you have to face very strange situations among the engineering professionals. A few months ago I went to an interview for an engineering design firm. During the formal interviewing questions the engineer in charge told me that I was not permitted to seal my own work due the lack of experience no matter I was licensed and with several years of field experience. I was going to assist other engineers. I was very dissapointed with this policy of the company or the engineer himself ,who knows? however I did not accept such approach. I forgot about the company and walked on. What do you think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may have missed an opportunity to learn from those with more experience. It means nothing to stamp a design besides being a legal target if some problems arise. I have worked for engineering firms where the most senior engineer stamped all designs that left the department. It was done for liability reasons. I personally liked being removed from the liability issues when working there. I also enjoyed the review comment from someone with more experience. No mater how much experience you have, there is always a lot to learn from others.

CRG

It’s actually common here in Canada for only one or two engineers in a design firm to use their seal.

Sealing is not only about personal professional responsibility for a design, it also can be binding financially on the company (or its insurers) and often a company wants one of its long-term senior engineers to be responsible for the final sign off.

If you had accepted the offer at sometime in the future you might have been able to seal work, its just that they wanted some more time to be comfortable with you and your ability. There is a vast difference between field experience and design experience. I have a lot of field experience and I’ll only do simple designs by myself. I will however have a lot of input to the design process to simplify and make the final product more economical to build and operate.

If this was the only reason for rejecting the company then I think you were somewhat immature and naïve in your actions.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

To answer your question in your header “to PE or not to PE. Yes, get the PE. It could make the difference between landing a job you want or taking what you can get. It is better to have the license and not use it than wish you had it so you could use it. Face it, it is not very difficult to get the license provided you work for a licensed engineer in your field.

CRG

Get the PE. It makes you a better engineer because it changes your attitude. Or, I should say it changed mine. I got my PE 12 years ago and began acting more professional. It rubbed off on those around me also and made our small company better in some intangible ways. I know it sounds corny, but it's true in my case.

I would of not passed on the job because you don't get to stamp anything. As mentioned, there are lots of senior engineers who have a great deal of knowledge to share. I have not worked in the consulting area but if I had my PE, I would be somewhat relieved to know that I would not have to sign off on anything at a new place of employment. This will give you a chance to verify the validity of the company and its engineers.
I think sometimes PE's build a certain amount of arrogance (not confidence) when they receive their license and believe that certain tasks are below them. Don't be one of these types. It will get you no where. Confidence is good, arrogance is not. And no they are not the same thing.

In the near future, I plan to get my PE certification. In the distant future, I expect to never use it. For me, it is just part of being personally committed to holding a standard of competency and accountability in this oft misguided profession.

[bat]All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted.[bat]

I agree with you all that having the certification is priceless in terms of searching a job but when trying to stretch the advantages of being licensed it can become sort of complicated. Maybe I was too idealistic. The use of licenses for doctors, lawyers and so on seems to be plain and simple but in the engineering field gets bumpy. Just like The Tick stated the engineering license has become something good to have but not so good to use.
Thanks all for your advise.

What are the specific requirements to taking the PE exam in California. I know about the EIT and have passed that. I know that I must wait some number of years before I can take the exam, but how many? I am also under the inpression that I must work directly under a PE. Is this true? I can't seem to get these questions answered on the California PE exam website. I would appreciate any answers.

This pamphlet describes it pretty well. Also, download the application form-it has detailed info.
You have to be doing engineering work in order to qualify for the exam, and in CA, that means working for a PE, because only a PE can do engineering work. Or, if you qualify for the industry exemption, it is ok, but you will need PEs as references.

psychro,

Many licensed engineers in California who aren't Principals or Partners go on working without having to seal the drawings they produce. There is a significant professional risk when you seal drawings and without reasonable compensation, no one would be willing to risk their license.

You may be asked to seal a set of drawings produced by your staff engineers. You assume full professional responsibility and when you miss any errors made by your staff, you suffer the consequences. Worst thing that can happen to the one who made the error is to get fired...

Be careful when sealing...

I got my PE as soon as I was eligible (our boss highly recommended it) -- I worked in the power plants for many years and never made use of it for 21 years (industry exemption)-- got laid off and it kept me employed... several of my ex-coworkers verbalized their regrets for not pusuing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back