Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

To quit or not to quit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsrow

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2005
US
It's been 8 years since I graduated from college. Currently I'm not satisfied with what I do at work (although I've been doing good job at it) and the pay I recieve. I'm at mid 50k now and I'm told you get what you get and 2.5% raise is good. I asked if I could do design work more often he said he'd try to find some for me, but no guarantee. I used to do lots of this but lately I've been doing lots of managing and mentoring. I hate moving up into senior level but I like the money. I like the people that I work with and I'm pretty much established here. Recently I had interview with a company who is willing to pay me at least 20% more of what I'm making now. I will be doing product design. The product that I will be desinging is OK. It doesn't really wow me too much. I have to make decission soon and I'm dragging my feet. I know that it would take me another 1-2 years to establish my self in the new company, and I may not like what I see. This makes me not wanting to move and be comfortable with what I have now. Having small child is also another factor. The other flip side, if I don't move, I can't see my self grow technically and professionally with the current company. I look at my immediate supervisor, I hate what he does.

Anyone's been in this situation before? how do you approach it?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jump, no brainer suggestion.

By the way, what do you mean by "established"? Goto guy in your group? If your pay is according to your contribution, you are not established, you are being taken advantage of.

I am the goto guy in our group for technical questions and I have been given pretty good reviews. But my pay hasn't been raised much - actually slightly lower than my origianl pay given the expense increase. I would quit right away if I have a offer 20% higher. I almost began to lower my expectation to my current pay because I feel terribly underpaid when I do the math about my contribution and my pay. I would rather that I am not goto guy and then I would have peaceful mind.

I strongly suggest Leave.

Established means: Go to guy in some areas, people come to me for ideas, solution, etc. I feel like I know company's culture pretty well and understand how to "play" the game well. I do feel that I'm still replaceable though.

My reviews have always been pretty good. I have been given exceptional in 3 out 8 catagories with the rest being succesfull every year, but 2.5% is pretty constant for me.

Sounds like you are pretty close to where I was at 8 years in. I jumped at 8 years 1 month. I was the go to guy for several things, did well at my work, recieved good reviews, and "one of the best raises" or "the most they would let me give", which didn't add up much.

After loosing several people, and not being able to replace them at wages they had been paying, they started paying more.

You could wait for them to maybe see the light, or move on. I made a big change.

If you've only received a 2.5% raise each year over the last 8 years you're earning less in real terms than when you started. It's time to talk tough with management or move on.

Exactly, 2.5% a year with exceptional performance review. The management must be kidding and they know the review is totally useless even though they wouldn't say that to anybody.

Talk tough on salary if money is the only concern. Leave if no progress.

2.5% is a "cookbook" raise, the kind one gets for mediocre performance in an average year.

Kinsrow said:
The product that I will be desinging is OK. It doesn't really wow me too much.
If you can't give your potential employer's product the respect it deserves then make room for someone who will. Not everyone gets to design iPods and Harleys. Not everyone who designs iPods and Harleys is happy with his job. Some of the most satisfying challenges are found in improving the most mundane products.

Tick,

I was lucky to get a raise this year. We had layoff twice already. Your point is well taken and that's why I'm dragging my feet to move on.

Kinsrow,

I have around three years experience and make about 30-40% more than you. In fact from all of my college friends the lowest one makes almost 60K an year(most are in the mid 60's). And no I did not come from a fancy private school just a state school from a low cost of living state. I did move to get the better pay but the cost of living in my new location is a little less than the previous one. According to career builder.com the average starting salary for new ME's in 2008 is 56,429. I have another friend who has 7 years of experience who is making 100k a year as an engineer without his PE (he is not going to sit for the exam until 2010). He does work on offshore vessels though so that could explain the difference. Needless to say get out of Dodge.

Brian
SW 2007 SP 5.0

Sid7,

I'm in the USA.

Brian575,

I realize that the number depend upon location, type of work, and field. I do consulting on the side and that has been much great, both from tachnical and financial views. I just can't keep up doing it anymore, I won't see my family at nights.

Thanks to all of you

Im electrical, so take this for whats it worth, but I graduated and made 55+ out of college (1 year ago). Of my friends, they got gov. jobs starting at 52K a year.

My mechanical friends arent making less then 55+ (out of college), but the only Mech's I knew were top of their class, so this may not be typical.

Regardless, 8 years and making 55Kish doesnt sound right based on what they are hiring recent grads.

well..I met with my boss again and told him that there is an opening for similar title but doing different product at other department under the same roof. He was a bit surprised but he told me to go ahead apply for it and he'll personnaly give my recommendation the other boss and let them know that I'm applying for position. This new position requires 3-5 years and the low end of the salary range is only a couple thousands below what I'm making right now and all the way up to 70k. I was pretty upaset when I found out about it. I have close to 8 years and I almost make the same as the guys who would come with 3 years experience.

Moral of the story, either my current boss didn't think I'm worth that much or he is tight up with the budget that he can't do anything about it anymore or I was stupid enough to accept his salary offer to begin with years ago. I updated my resume, talked to HR and submit my application.

I second Ztrain.

I don't know if pay disparity is large between ME and SE, but mid 50's 8 years out is absurd.

I'm one year out & making close to 60. That's not even counting bonuses, which in good years can be as much as 20% of salary.

Admittedly, I graduated from a good program, with a good GPA, but that kind of evens out after a few years, doesn't it?

Unless that coffee has golden nuggets floating in it, it seems to me that you are WAY underpaid.

I don't know if moving is an option for you, but it seems like it very well may be worthwhile.

frv-
Where are you located that you are 1 year out and making 60k?
I am 2 years out making around 55k. My bonus isn't that good either - 1k last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back