Tolerance hole to have interference fit to shaft, RFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSimulacra

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2003
US
Hi,
I have been made mechanical drawings most of my life and I guess I am having a brain sneeze (Thanks Si).
Besides just long hand stating it, how would you draft having a bore interference fit a shaft regardless of the shaft diameter. In this case the shaft varies and we do not want to machine it but make the mating hole have an interference fit of .0005/.001". Would like to state in GD&T terms if possible but interested in all responses.
Man I feel dumb asking. Be gentle or not.

Thanks,
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For some dowel pin press fits I've specified the required interference on the drawing rather than the required hole size.

Not the easiest thing to inspect though.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you tolerance the mating hole based off of the desired interference and diameter range of the shaft? If whoever is going to make the hole will have the specific shaft that is going into ite then KENAT's idea should work. Or am I missing something...

Han primo incensus

I guess what I am after is a more "professional" way of stating diameter and tolerance rather than; (0.0005/0.001" press-fit to shaft, RFS)

However this may be the best way? I admit something like the above is how I have always done this before. Now however I have a big name customer asking me how to do this and I thought I might be showing my country boy heritage.

Something so simple I may be trying to make it hard, thought about using ISO fits but they really do not address this occurrence.

From the pedant's point of view you are actually defining a process instruction.

Measure shaft. Calculate hole limits. Make hole within limits.

Hmm, not sure I entirely agree on that Mint - though it depends on the situation.

In terms of functional requirement arguably you should perhaps specify the min pull out force or some such.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

In a "more professional" way RFS applies to geometrical tolerances and not to sizes themselves.

And BTW, if pieces are fitted on individual basis, doesn't it make them "matched pair"?

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back