Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tolerance in view style

Status
Not open for further replies.

eex23

Industrial
Dec 13, 2005
SE
What is the meaning of the tolerance in view style? Do I need to increase/decrease this value? Or let it system decide?

Thanks

NX4.0.4.2 mp10
win xp 32bit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you're referring to the 'Tolerance' for Drafting views, correct?

That being said, why are you asking whether you need to "increase/decrease" this value? What is it that you're seeing which makes you think that it needs to be changed?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

As you can cee in the attached picture, this value is 4.24...
So it's just intresting what is the meaning of it. Is it milimeters? If I do not need this number at all, so why I'm seeing it and it is possible to enter any value?

When a drawing view is created, the curves representing the edges of the model are inherited from the model itself, however Silhouette curves and those which need to be computed so as to have a proper hidden-line model are all done as part of the Drawing view creation and this tolerance is used to control the 'accuracy' (perhaps a better term would be how 'precise' the results are) of these curves as seen in a Drawing view and as it is plotted or rendered.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Ok John, that is good explanation. I want to know the meaning of 'Chord Height' in reference to Silhoutte/Hidden Curves/Edges. Is it possible to show it pictorially.

Interesting.....mine is set at "0.0" also. Is that too tight of a tolerance, and could that explain why it is taking so very long to update my drawings?

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

OK, when the system generates a graphic image, particularly in wireframe, such as for Drawing views, Lines, and often Arcs/Conics, are done with graphic primitives which renders them exactly. However for splines (and sometimes Arcs/Conics) this is usually not the case so they are rendered as a series of available graphic primitives usually 'line segments' since they are the easiest to draw and thus render the fastest. However, there is a trade off as to how small and thus how many 'line segments' do we use to represent a free-form curve; the more segments, the 'smoother' the curve will appear, the less, the faster it will render.

So when we say 'Chordal Height' we are talking about the difference between the theoretical curve and the line segments which are being used to render it, as shown in the exaggerated image attached to this post.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Interesting.....mine is set at "0.0" also. Is that too tight of a tolerance, and could that explain why it is taking so very long to update my drawings?

I only change the view tolerance when lines are missing or obviously misaligned. Sometimes a smaller value actually makes it worse and you have to move to a larger value to get what you want.

Since the move to NX6, I haven't had much need to change the value. From personal experience, I have not noticed much difference in the time it takes to update the drawing whether a small or large value is used, but then again I don't believe I've ever taken it all the way down to 0.

OK, I changed the view tolerance from 0 to 0.002.......my upper-level assembly drawings (typically "E" size) are still taking over a half-hour to update (9 views).

What are the units of this variable, and can someone suggest an optimun value for a feller that typically makes "B", "C", "D", and "E" size drawings?

NX 7.5.1.5

The Customer Defaults > Drafting > View > Units System is either "Metric" or "English", and does not convert when the user changes units.....?

I will try "English" at .005, and report back....thanks.

capn

I would NOT change the setting in Customer Defaults. If you leave it set at 0.0 (which BTW is the out-of-the-box default), NX will automatically calculate what the system feels is an appropriate tolerance based on several factors including, Drawing Units, View Scale, Drawing Scale, Model size, etc. When I gave my recommendations above it was with respect to editing the Chord Height Tolerance on an existing drawing, NOT what you should set in Customer Defaults.

Note that if you open the Help files and search on Chord Height Tolerance and select the first result (General options) you will go to a page which explains all of this and provides examples using images similar to what I posted earlier.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

OK, help says that an "optimum" value is calculated, based on a few different variables.

So, does this "optimum" refer to optimum drawing accuracy, or optimum time to generate the drawing? Two different requirements here ---- do I have a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back