Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tolerance in view style

Status
Not open for further replies.

eex23

Industrial
Dec 13, 2005
SE
What is the meaning of the tolerance in view style? Do I need to increase/decrease this value? Or let it system decide?

Thanks

NX4.0.4.2 mp10
win xp 32bit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps 'optimum' was not the best choice of words as it brings to mind a sort of ideal or near-perfect condition. Note that I used the word 'appropriate' in my explanation which I think is more suitable as it implies that it's probably a compromise between what is possible and what is recommended. However, if you go back and read what was actually written in the Help doc's you will see that this was already more than covered when it was stated:

"The smaller the specified value the more accurate the representation. However, smaller tolerance values cause longer update times."

That should have been a clue that the term 'optimum' was speaking more along the lines of some 'happy medium'.

As for you "having a choice", if we didn't want you to have a choice, we would NOT have allowed you to override the default. By entering some non-zero value, you are indicating what it is that your preferences are. Now as to exactly what that value should be, since it has already been pointed out that there are many variables, you will need to experiment and find out for yourself and your situation as to what is an 'optimal' value to use. Good luck.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Fair enough. If I set the value back to 0.0, and let the system decide what it thinks is the optimum value to use, would the system be able to indicate to me the value it determined, so that I might have a starting point and magnitude of this optimum value......and not need so much "luck" in trying to find this magic number? No values I have experimented with so far have given me either optimum or appropriate results. Top level assembly drawings are taking on the order of one-half hour to update.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

capnhook,
Do you have 'extract associative edges' toggled on in your views? If so, this may be adding to the time it takes to update.

Yes, just create your Drawing, place your Views, then select a View, press MB3, select Style... and on the General tab there will be an item in the center of the dialog labeled 'Tolerance'. This will show the Chordal Height Tolerance used by the software for that view.

That being said, before I would start second guessing the system, I have to ask, why are you looking to change what the system thinks is 'optimal'? What behavior or symptoms have you experienced which has led you to conclude that you needed to change the value of the Chordal Height Tolerance?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

I don't think so, cowski. Under " View Style > General tab > Extracted Edges ", my options are "None" and "Associative". I am set to "None".

Another thing to check which could be having an impact on the Drawing view update performance is to go to...

Customer Defaults -> Drafting -> View -> Threads

...and toggle OFF the 'True Hidden Line' option.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

The 'True Hidden Line' option is and has been OFF. I think it was one of the first options that GTAC suggested be turned off, when I was having difficulty with silhouette lines that would not update, last month.

The verrrry slow updating of my top-level assembly drawings is the symptom I am trying to alleviate, by investigating the chordal tolerance variable.......which I am now concluding that for some nefarious reason is being brushed under the rug, so to speak, insofar as the explanations I have been given as to what the optimal value for this tolerance is, and how it is magically derived and not revealed to me anywhere.

As long as I put my faith in the system, enter zero, and take the result I am given, everything will be just fine, eh? I don't believe it. Show me, I used to be from Missouri.

If the number is not zero, can the system report to me what value is being used, so that I have a starting point to use for weighing the trade-off between accuracy and time..?

NX 7.5.1.5

You've already been given everything that there is to be known about the Choral Height Tolerance. Our recommendation is to leave the Customer Default value set to 0.0 as this will allow the system to try and do what we feel is 'optimal'. However, I suspect that there is NO setting which will be a 'magic bullet' for your situation. Without having someone look over your shoulder at what you're doing, I don't know what else that anyone can do for you.

BTW, where are you located? Over the next 2 months I'm going to be traveling across about half the country (Eastern half) and who knows, I might be passing close by...

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back