Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tolerance stackup calculation (ref pmarc example Alex Kurlikovski Fundamentals GD and T book) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenimi

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2011
US
I am learning tolerance stackups and I am using Alex Kurlikovski book (Fundamentals of Geometric dimensioning and Tolerancing, 2nd edition). I have a question about the stackup tolerance calculation --fig 9-14 page 265—attached—
Minimum distance X min calculation shown is 4.5mm. Someone around here, who has way more experience than me in those kind of calculations, is claiming that the “real” X min calculation should be 4.1 (not 4.5 shown) because the form error was not included.
In the book: X min is :
69.6 (min length) – 50 (basic) - 10(basic) – 8.6/2 (max size for the hole) - (0.6+1)/2 (hole at the LMC, hole position is at MMC) = 4.5mm
Our expert is claiming the calculation should have started from 69.6 - 0.4 = 69.2 and not from 69.6. Therefore, the result would be 4.1mm and not 4.5mm.
Justification: the size of the feature (length) still has to be ±0.4mm (70.4/69.6 = 70±0.4), if the opposing points meet the size specification and the envelope meet rule#1, then the length meet the requirements. The form error was not taking in consideration for the calculation in the book. (a gage can use all 0.4mm in form error and still be making contact with the datum feature simulator)

I know pmarc had some issues with X min calculation in fig 9-12 page 263 (x min should be 2.7 and not 2.9) and here is that specific thread.

And it’s exactly as pmarc stated: “It is weird to disagree with such authority”
Now, going back to our issue (page 265): Ii is our “expert” points us in a right direction or “the unclaimed form error” is not applicable here?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pmarc

Sorry for the confusion, the attached picture in chapter 13 is the picture of datum related dimension vs non-datum related dimension.

You asked a good question, why it disappeared in the 2009 textbook?

Season

Just to confirm (if it’s still necessary, but I think pmarc already cover it) the original OP picture fig. 9-14 is taken from AK Fundamentals (based on 1994 standard).
I understand that the calculation in the book for X min is correct (with the assumptions covered throughout the thread, such as min width dimension from datum plane B). The same thing for X max (with the suppositions presented by pmarc—perfect orientation between datum features A and B when datum feature B is at its MMC). Just want to be clear: I understand that.
Now, I would like to extend a little bit the discussion about how 70.4/69.6 (direct tolerance dimension) is supposed to be measured. Why I am questioning this? Because, I think a couple of replies ago, someone made the statement that “how you define max and min dimensions” makes the whole difference in the world in how we are all approaching the issue. In other words, let’s say the min distance is NOT the same consistent min all the way thought the part and we are interested to find the “ABSOLUTE” min at one end of the hole (more or less like a minimum wall condition).
How the calculations are done in this case? There is any difference?
Also, I would like to ask, how “the actual local size” is supposed to be measured? ( Yes, I know, we missed this “actual local size” initially and pmarc had to spend time convincing us about that requirement, and he did that successfully)
Therefore:
What means “the measured value of any individual distance at any cross section of a feature of size”?
What is the direction of measurement for the local size?

Y14.5-2009
2.7 LIMITS OF SIZE
Unless otherwise specified, the limits of size of a feature
prescribe the extent within which variations of geometric
form, as well as size, are allowed. This control
applies solely to individual regular features of size as defined in para. 1.3.32.1. The actual local size of an individual feature at each cross section shall be within the specified tolerance of size.

pmarc,
Thank you.
I will take a look. I also have seen another thread where your statement is:

"While it looks like the easiest way of defining size (length) of the pin, it can easily turn into real can of worms when one wants to analyze direction in which measurements for that size should be taken. It is all because neither Y14.5-2009 nor associated math standard Y14.5.1-1994(R2012) give unambiguous definition of what actual local two-point size is and how it should be determined. Saying that actual local size is "the measured value of any individual distance at any cross section of a feature of size" is so muddy, that I am pretty sure there is no muddier definition in the whole standard."
16 Jun 13 8:31

I found it after I have posted the questions in my previous post

Pmarc,
I found a book written by Louis Gray Lamit, and the local size definition is….well as shown in the attachment.

I know, it’s the author interpretation of the standard , but …. isn’t it confusing that on page 614, the LMC measurement is shown to be perpendicular / normal to the axis (see the 90° corner shown) and on the next page 615 fig g the LMC is ALSO shown diagonal (between the two radiuses).? Does the LMC also applies to the bottom of those 2 radii? LMC is the minimum distance between the semicircular areas?
Am I missing somethig?
Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b18936ee-91ab-436d-b707-28ad48d712eb&file=96-97.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back