Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too much money; No such thing? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

calpolyholley

Structural
Sep 7, 2004
US
I recently started a new job; my offer letter stated my monthly salary would be $X,000. During my interview, I stated my required salary range was between $X,000 - $X,500. My first three paychecks indicates they are paying me $X,500. I do not know if my offer letter had a typo or there was an accounting glitch during the first pay period, but I am being paid $500/month more than I anticipated. I work for a small firm and I do not understand how a salary error like this could go unnoticed. Should I notify the managing engineer and risk losing some salary? Should I keep the money and play ignorant if and when the time comes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would bring it up to make sure everything was properly negotiated and to keep everything honest. And to make sure your benefits, tax deductions, etc. were being calculated correctly. Also, what if it is a mistake and it does go unnoticed for, say, 10 months--that's $5k. Then they want it back but you've already bought a new LCD HDTV and hung it on your wall?

Patrick

helpfullholley....You should bring it up. After all, they could be devious sorts and are testing you!! (half joking!)

Chances are, since they are a small firm, they'll say no big deal and leave it alone. In large firms, the auditors would ultimately compare the letter to the payroll and notice the difference, then you have an HR issue.

Something like this happened to me years ago. A pay increase (15%) showed up in my paycheck suddenly. I asked personnel if this was some kind of mistake. They told me no, that I was being "adjusted". A few paychecks went by over the weeks and one day I got a phone call saying that there had been a mistake. Not only were they going to adjust my pay rate back down, but they were going to deduct the extra money that they had previously given me. At this point my boss got involved and told them that they could adjust my pay back to the original rate, but that they could not take back the extra money that they had already given out. He said that the fault was theirs and that I had immediately inquired about the sudden pay rate increase, like any good employee would do.

tell HR about it and inform your boss how much you like it....

Being upfront on all fronts is the best way to practice engineering....

BobPE

Its unanimous (did I spell that right?).

This is a classic ethical situation where you really can't loose if you come forward honestly. Most companies do take notice of this kind of honesty and it does come back in the form of many and diverse blessings - you just can't see them all yet...and you may not see them all ever.

Obviously you should report this to your manager, but before you go are you sure that the extra sum is not part of a sign on bonus or moving expenses, things of this nature? If yes or no, clarify it with your manager. Honesty is the best policy that is what Dilbert said in my ethics class!

Go Mechanical Engineering
Tobalcane

Companies have been know to back out of offer letters. Many could tell you tales of offers that were retracted after the person moved to a new site, pay that was lowered. jobs that were changed etc. So it may be that a letter is not as strong a contract as we may think. A pay check is a contract ( for at least the current week).
Ask but don't keep asking till they find your willing to work for less and cut your pay.

I would ask. If you are new you are being evaluated. I don't think this is a test, but it does make you a trustworthy employee. On the other hand if you don't say anything, you will not have shown yourself as trustworthy. talk to the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back