Too much Steam Piping Slope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDS2008

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2008
CA
My fellow knowledgeable ones!

Is there such a thing as too much slope on a steam line? I am working on a few lines, one which is superheated (540°F @ 185 pisg) and another that is 185 psig saturated.

I realize the norm is approx. 1:100, but what about 1:200. This suits our pipe elevation better.

Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Double posting is discouraged.

You need to take down the information posted on this thread and red flag it and use your post in piping forum as a conduit for the information you require.

As for slope it depends on the situation. the general rule of thumb of 1:100 is the nominal. then there is the max/min conditions dictated by the field. The only hard and fast rule is, do not pocket condensate lines.

KBS - Yes I read this post but this was the other extreme, whether slope was required at all.

Unclesyd - I posted the question under Boiler and Pressure Vessels by mistake and am new at this, so i just copied it to the piping. Will keep this in mind.

It appears that there is no restriction to a higher slope thatn 1:100, except that we need to ensure there is a good drip pocket to remove the condensate.

Do any of you have any comments regarding sloping superheated steam VS saturated steam lines. I noted that there doesn't seem to be much interest on projects that I have worked on to slope the lines and the excuse is generally that there isn't much condensate produced. However, start ups will produce condensate and you need to remove this. I always slope the lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back