Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tool Steel For Piercing Die with high tensile strength after heat treatment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roachman

Automotive
Jun 17, 2003
GB
I need to specify a die for a piercing operation which needs to have a high tensile strength, probably around 1000 mpa if possible and yet still be sufficiently hard to give a reasonable life in terms of retaining its sharp edge. Anybody out there with any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hot working or cold? If hot then H13 comes to mind, Cold look at D4 or CPM10V.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I think, the discussion is about piercing mandrel. I know it must be high carbon high chromium alloy with oodles of Tungsten, Moly, Vanadium and Cobalt . I do not have my notes on hand to be more helpful.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Piercing aluminium can be abrasive to the tool surface due to the presence of aluminium oxide. The tool steel itself could be one of several alloys. D4 and CPM10V as suggested by EdStainless certainly are options, as are D2, M2 and other powdered metal grades. The tool should be polished and coated. TiN, TiCN and DLC are options (in increasing order of performance and cost), although the final selection will depend greatly on production volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back