Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

toolbars 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbro151

Aerospace
Aug 28, 2006
US
My toolbars are constantly changing position on me. Yes, sometimes I'm sloppy and drag them around, but, after I fix them, they seem to migrate again. Can I select a default configuration that always appears, or is the structure of them contained in the files I create?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No default setup. Setup your menus and settings, copy your CATSettings directory located in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\DassaultSystemes
to a backup name. This will ease the pain.

Regards,
Derek

Hi,

You can also create a script file which can first copy your CATSettings file from your back-up directory and then run CATIA.

Regards
Fernando

Why not create an ENVIRONMENT with default CATSettings, Shortcuts...

So you can clean user CATSettings when toolbar or something else is wrong.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I do use an environment. I run a startup script with job appropriate standards and settings. That's one of the reasons I'm getting confused by my toolbars moving around. I can always reset to my intial configuration, but I can't figure out how I keep changing them accidentally.

Thatnks for all the help and advice.

Going one step further with the environment suggestion - keep 2 CATSettings folders - the default "CATSettings" folder created by Catia, and another for the specific version. (i.e. - CATSettingsR17) Point your environment editor directly at the customized environment CATSettings.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

To solve this thing via CatSettings is awful, close & open Catia on and on... Its sad that changing position of toolbars is property of CV5, because when I skip from Gen.Sh. Design to Part Design and then to Assembly Design every Design has its toolbars and some disappear. One solution is keep default toolbars on sides and specific toolbars flying...

Thanks all, not only am I learning something but I got a chuckle out of DB's response to solid.

That's probably the best suggestion though, to make 2 folders. I've tried flying specific toolbars, but frankly, I find that I don't like them in my modeling area. I hadn't thought of this as a possible windows issue. I'm running XP Pro SP2.

It is easy to reset the toolbars to default config, but upsetting that I have to do it at all.

Solid, you're suggestion also clears up another issue for me. Someone else maintains the environment I use, but we all have access to it. Could be someone is changing it on me. A personal copy would do wonders for me.

kbro151 - the settings are saved when you exit that last Catia window. Are you working on local machines with the settings elsewhere? Mulitple users on your machine? You should have your administrator set up the admin settings in Catia for R16
In the environment area he can set the CATReferenceSettingPath to a location on a server. On the server make a directory for the admin settings of R16. If a user deletes his/her settings, the server settings are the default. You can lock settings as well.

Startup line for R16 admin -

"C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B16\intel_a\code\bin\CNEXT.exe" -env CATIA.V5R16.B16 -admin

Regards,
Derek

DB-

I have my own dedicated machine. I also am using a server based environment. However, we're not picky about administrators. We can all pretty much modify everything around here. I simply haven't been using a local settings file. I've only been using CATIA for a few months; my main concern has been finishing drawings/models and manufacturing parts. I haven't been too concerned with the structure or settings of CATIA. Now I'm getting to the point where I want to customize CATIA to the way I want to work. You guys are getting me off to a good start with these forums.

Solid7,

Can you explain your 2 folders for CATSettings... I have some problem to understand what you call the default CATSettings folder created by Catia.

When I define an ENVIRONMENT I do not have default CATIA catsettings... I have my own CATSettings for the release I use and for the users working with that ENV. But nowhere I use default CATIA CATSettings, may be I am missing something.

Eric N.

I always create a separate folder for each version that I install, even if it is only one version. For example, I name R17 CATSettings as "CATSettingsR17". I also keep the default folder created by Catia, called "CATSettings". (the default in the CATSettingsReferencePath) If there is ever an error, Catia looks to the original folder, CATSettings.

And that was the point, Eric. No, Catia does not have "default" settings - just an empty folder. As long as it keeps getting pointed back to a folder that is empty, or has no write access, the user will not be able to save their settings.

It may be very different for you. (I don't know) We are a small company with administrator access on all workstations, which sounds like a similar case to kbro151.

the point of the CATReferenceSettingPath folder is to store the default customized CATSettings. So users can clea (delete) CATUserSettingPath without changing the Ref. ones...

Having an empty folder for CATReferenceSettingPath is what we call a 'vanilla flavour' CATIA. like out of the box... no configuration...no environment. which for me is a step backward (not further) from using an environment.

for kbro151 , when we define the default CATSettings for the CATReferenceSettingPath folder, we found that there is an order to make toolbars stay in position. But we do not use all workbenches, you might use some that create problem no matter what. Some toolbar are tricky like Graphical properties in Advance Meshing... But all in all we do not have to many problem with toolbar position.

Users usually clean CATSettings at least once a week...

I asked DS about having a CATSettings editor so we can fixe toolbar position... they say no, you have to use tools/customize/Toolbar/reset position... which does not work at 100% (in R14) but it is getting better at each release.

Eric N.

solid - we are setup very similar but I change the CATUserSettingPath to CSIDL_APPDATA\DassaultSystemes\CATSettings17
After I have my catia setup I make a backup copy of the CATSettings directory, eventually they corrupt. In the case of corruption - delete CATSettings17 and replace with backup.

My reference path holds the admin settings, they are on a mapped server drive
w:\Settings\CATSettings_Ref17
All users environments point to the server for reference settings - for our work structure I must lock out settings.

Only draw back - the "W" drive must be mapped at CV5 startup.

Regards,
Derek

solid - we are setup very similar but I change the CATUserSettingPath to CSIDL_APPDATA\DassaultSystemes\CATSettings17

I may have been unclear on this point. This is the same thing that I do. I just don't delete the folder called "CATSettings".

After I have my catia setup I make a backup copy of the CATSettings directory, eventually they corrupt. In the case of corruption - delete CATSettings17 and replace with backup.

Yep, roger that. I seem to recall that I have to put the backup CATSettings in a folder ABOVE the path specified in the CATUserSettingPath, as I had some trouble in the past with CATSettings being found ANYWHERE under the specified CATUserSettingPath.

My reference path holds the admin settings, they are on a mapped server drive
w:\Settings\CATSettings_Ref17
All users environments point to the server for reference settings - for our work structure I must lock out settings.

I've never changed the admin location. Any particular reason you did this differently, other than to keep your settings safe from other users?

By default there is no admin location, you have to define it.

When you then start CATIA in Admin mode and modify settings, they will be saved in the CATReferenceSettingPath folder.

When user start catia the first time setting are read from CATReferenceSettingPath . Then second timethey are read from CATUserSettingPath .

I do trust (because my team create them) CATReferenceSettingPath CATSettings. I do not trust (because users works with them) CATUserSettingPath CATSettings.

Users should not duplicate settings folder and copy when corrupted, but delete all (some) of them and start catia again, missing CATSettings will be read form clean CATReferenceSettingPath .

We do not have time to support users custome CATSettings.

Eric N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back