Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torsion spring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwenn

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am trying to create a torsion spring with a deflection angle. But i can't seem to get the 2 ends be at an angle, rather than just starting and ending at the same plane.

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

Gwen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Q. Are you doing a helical sweep as the coil part of the spring? If so make the helical sweep trajectory a length multiple of the pitch. If you want a spring with 1 loop and the ends to be 90deg apart the trajectory length would be pitch*1.25.

If you are using a VarSecSwp then you want to sketch a construction circle with multiple arcs with equal angles and radii. for the type of spring I mentioned above you could sketch two arcs each with an angle dim of (450/2).
If you wanted two spring loops and an angle of 90deg between ends you would need 3 arcs or #loops plus one.

If you are using another method to create your spring please let me know if not please clarify your question.

Michael

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the torsion spring again. i need to create a torsion spring that has a deflected angle. I managed to do that by using Michael's suggestion- changing the length of the spring. My pitch value = diameter of the cross section. But i can't add the ends. If it's normal to axis, the end protrusions will overlap the spring and WF2 is not allowing me to do that. If i have it normal to traj, i don't know how to add the ends since i can't pick any datum plans to be my sketch reference.

Is there any other way i can construct this torsion spring? Or is it something i am doing not right?

Thanks!

Gwen,

If you want to have the ends of the spring normal to the helix It will probably involve less work with a Variable section sweep which was my other suggestion. an even easier way which seems to match the way you are creating the spring would be to do a curve by equation to get the trajectory for the spring coil and use a swept blend making a plane normal to the helix at the end point.

This method would give you faces normal to the helix at the ends that you could do extrusions from.

/*Curve by equation for helix with Rad 2
/*angle of 90 between ends
/*And height equal to swept blend trajectory
R=2
H=helix height
x=R*cos(540*t)
y=R*sin(540*t)
z=H*t

Then create the Sweep normal to traj or use a swept blend and sketch the circle or xsec at each end point if using a swept blend.

Michael
[spin]

Thanks Michael! i'm not familiar with both creating curve from equation and swept blend. But i'll find some tutorial to read up and try as you suggest. Thanks!

Gwen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back