Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torsional spring in ABAQUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gio1

Automotive
Jun 28, 2003
GB
Hello,

Is there anybody who could give me an example on how to define a torsional stiffness between two nodes in ABAQUS/Explicit?

Apparently this is not possible with SPRING elements, and requires the use of Connectors instead. However I can't find a suitable definition for type and behavior of simple torsional stiffness in one of the global directions (6).

The following is a section of the model data in my input file. I first define node 6000000, then connect it to the existing node 1000000 using the connector element 5000000, with torsional stiffness of 5500 N/m in direction 6 (rotation about Z). The program is complaining that orientations are missing for the connector, which surprises me because the stiffness is defined along a global direction

Thank you for your help

** DEFINE CONNECTOR
*NODE,NSET=SHAFTEND
6000000,19.3E-3,18.22E-3,100E-3
*ELEMENT, TYPE=CONN3D2, ELSET=SH1
*CONNECTOR SECTION, ELSET=SH1, BEHAVIOR=BEH1
FLEXION-TORSION
*CONNECTOR BEHAVIOR, NAME=BEH1
*CONNECTOR ELASTICITY, COMPONENT=6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is your element type that's causing the problem. Flexion-torsion always requires an orientation (v6.4 Analysis Manual sect.17.1.6)

You could either try a different element type, or create a dummy coordinate system that's the same as the global one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back