Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahm554

Materials
Oct 17, 2015
AE
Dear All,

Can you please advise on below queries:

1 - How to positively identify a PRV if the original name plate is missing and the PRV is not traceable for servicing/overhauling".

2 - Some PSV datasheets and P&IDs may not be available and tags are unidentifiable. What is the way forward in this situation.

Regards and Thanks in advance

SAhmad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There should at least be the manufacturers name or symbol embossed on the body. There should always be a serial number stamped - normally on the outlet rim in the case of a flanged valve (the tag number too). Some people may identify the manufacturer from a few photos of the valve (I have done this from body shape and cap profile etc., having seen 000's over the years). If you have the serial no and the manufacturer identified, you can then go to that original maker for original order details. Failing that, you may need to ask the manufacturer if he has an installed list available for your plant - can be difficult if original supply was via an EPC or OEM supplier. I do not know of the protocols at your plant, but you would normally have some record of obtaining the valve and/or maintenance performed on it. Try also looking at your P&ID's to identify the valve tag etc. If you can post a photo, I would be happy to take a look.

Per ISO, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

Sarfrazahmad554,
Where is this plant(City and Country)?
What kind of Plant is it?
When was it built?
Is it still owned and operated by the original Owner/Operator?

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Pennpiper,

The plant is located in Middle east and is an upstream oil and gas plant. Built in 80's and still operated by original owner. Certain cases have been reported where valve tags were missing and sometimes valve tag is available but data sheet and P&ID is missing. what guidelines should be followed for such cases which is required to incorporate in corporate procedures.

Thanks

I'm only going to recommend a path forward.

1. Take the PSV out of service and send it to a valve repair shop so they can maintain it and see what it is internally.

2. Make sure that you understand the correct size and just replace the thing.

At my plant we would probably just go with option #2. So we wouldn't have to have down time to inspect and service the original valve. Of course to execute option #2 you would need to have the PSV sized already. Which may take some amount of effort by an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back