Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Training New Hires 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSThompson

Aerospace
Aug 12, 2003
US
OK, This isn't a technical question but one that I am sure that we are struggling with. We, like everyone, are hiring new stressers everyday. I've been a stress engineer since '91. I was trained in the old Boeing way, find the grizzliest old stress guy you could, then shut-up and listen. In addition, at Boeing we had the Tech Excellence classes.

My problem is this, the OEM I’m at now does not have very good training courses, and there aren’t enough grizzlies to go around. We’re getting worn out explaining the same things over and over to a different person; i.e. IDT, Mc/I, Cripple, Buckle, Repairs, DADT, FEM, Load Paths, FAR’s, what references to buy etc. etc., etc.

My question is this, for all you old timers and newbies out there, what are some training methods you have used or seen that can get them up to speed and quickly? I can think of a few but a fresh perspective would be nice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

crackman,

I presume you are into fracture analysis, among other things. My early exposure to fracture analysis was from an attached MME who specialized in fracture. I used his work in my jet engine components, and it got the attention of Wright Field. They ran with it and used it to get fracture of major components under control.(circa 1975)

Compositestress / Prost

I finally have the solutions for each chapter of the Liasion Course scanned in, just email me separately (at my personal email address) and I will forward it to both of you so you guys can post it on your sites. There's no way I can keep up with other individual requests.

By the way, as I was digging through my references, another good reference for basic structures training is the book entitled "Aircraft Structural Analysis" by the Martin Aircraft Company, 1947. Its a practical reference on aircraft structural analysis with numerous problems to work out which are realistic.

For those of you looking for the solutions to the aircraft structures problems contained in the crackman document, Stress_Course_for_Liasion_Engineers.pdf, you can now access it after sending me $19.99 first...no wait, just kidding! You can download it at ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/pub. The solution document is titled Aircraft_Structures_for_Engineers___Solutions.pdf. Crackman requests that you try to get it from this ftp site first, and if you have trouble down, come back to this thread and tell us you can't download it.

Crackman, Prost and Composite Stress,
Thanks for the efforts in putting the solutions out there.
Crackman, can't believe that you old school blokes had solution manuals ;-) ("Solution manuals? We don't need no darn solution manuals, those are for sissies. Back in my day we ground out the problem on a slide rule, and KNEW it was right!" j/k much respect for ya!)

crackman,

I stumbled across this website and your 30 April 2006 entry regarding training new stress engineers. I am new to the aircraft structuaral analysis scene. Meanwhile, my current employer treats its employees well but there is a vacuum of in-depth, industry specific technical training. And yes, it is frustrating, especially for someone who background is mechanical engineering.

In your 30 April 2006 entry, you offered to email anyone a PDF file of a training class from MACAIR. ("For anyone interested, I can email a pdf of a course MACAIR wrote twenty some years ago to train stress people.") I will take your offer and a copy of that class and any other information regarding training, text books, and any references that you may be willing to offer. Any suggestions regarding the best way to exchange contact information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

Dave1501 and anyone else who is interested:
crackman graciously provided me with two PDFs--the questions, and the solutions, which crackman allowed me to put on my companies ftp site. Due to the overwhelming volume of requests, crackman requests that you get those two PDFs there, rather than ask for direct email. Here's the site:
ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/pub
currently there are two files there, download them both.
It's all free, thanks to crackman and my company providing a tiny bit of space on a server. Let me know if you can't download them for some reason.

Prost,

Thanks for your efforts but I was able to access the website. When I clicked on the provided link, my PC responded with a dialogue box titled "FTP Folder Error". The dialogue box stated "Windows unable to access this folder." Any suggestions?
Dave

Hmm. I assume you mean you were "unable" to access the ftp site. I just tried it, 10:15 am Central time, twice, once on my IE, the other time with my Firefox. Worked both times. Did you mistype something?

I tried it both ways; typing in the address, and just clicking on the link above. Maybe there was a hangup in the server just when you were trying to do it. Please try again, and come back to this thread if you still have problems. We'll stick it on our company's commercial website temporarily and you can download from there.

Something changed in our ftp site administration without our knowing. This might work better:

ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/anonftp/pub

try downloading both documents there.

ARGH! This ftp appears to be erratic. We put the two files in a more dependable location

You'll see two files there below the Parent Directory. Right click on a file, a menu pops up, use Save Link As option, and put the file on your PC wherever you like.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the screwiness of our ftp. It's never screwed up for me before; are there sun spots today? :)

OK, I have put the notes and the solutions in 3 places:

ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/pub
ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/anonftp/pub

Depending on the phase of the moon or some other arbitrary event, either or both or neither of the first two works. As far as I know, the last one always works. If you are still cannot get these two documents, please let me know and we'll figure out some other way to get those documents to you.

Guys,
Seems like an asinine question (not that that stopped me before), but what are your views on an old dog learning new tricks? Can someone from a design background (or any other such as Quality) actually change positions and go into Stress and make it? More importantly, would any sane company manager consider this as a worthy investment over training a newbie? As for me, I want to learn about stress analysis simply to increase my understanding of Aero Structures, but I couldn't help wondering.

From what I remember of that training course, if you can understand it, and the theory behind it, you should be able to walk into a stress job.

You'll be far better prepared than most grads these days.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Hi Asanga,

The big thing is a willingness to learn. Your design background should actually help since you will already have an understanding of materials, fastening systems, loading actions etc. that you would need when stressing.

Regards

Andries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back