Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Training New Hires 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSThompson

Aerospace
Aug 12, 2003
US
OK, This isn't a technical question but one that I am sure that we are struggling with. We, like everyone, are hiring new stressers everyday. I've been a stress engineer since '91. I was trained in the old Boeing way, find the grizzliest old stress guy you could, then shut-up and listen. In addition, at Boeing we had the Tech Excellence classes.

My problem is this, the OEM I’m at now does not have very good training courses, and there aren’t enough grizzlies to go around. We’re getting worn out explaining the same things over and over to a different person; i.e. IDT, Mc/I, Cripple, Buckle, Repairs, DADT, FEM, Load Paths, FAR’s, what references to buy etc. etc., etc.

My question is this, for all you old timers and newbies out there, what are some training methods you have used or seen that can get them up to speed and quickly? I can think of a few but a fresh perspective would be nice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, Hopefully this will get noticed.

I really appreciate the pdf being made available. I was able to ftp OK, but the solutions file is no longer in ftp.apesolutions.com/pub, the http link is 403'ed, and ftp.apesolutions.com/anonftp/pub doesn't exist.

Any chance that the soultions file could be put back on the ftp site?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

I am very sorry you had so much trouble Jeffrey. We had one of those unscheduled, uninformed (meaning they didn't tell us about it) decisions by our webhosting company that goofed up our ftp://blah blah/pub site. Try one of these 3 sites,
ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/pub
ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/anonftp/pub
ftp://ftp.apesolutions.com/home/apesolutions/anonftp/pub/

You're looking for these 2 files, though you can download anything else there if you like.
Stress_Course_for_Liasion_Engineers.pdf
Aircraft_Structures_for_Engineers___Solutions.pdf

If none of those 4 locations works, email me at
drfeaNOSPAMYOUSCUM@yahoo.com (removing the obvious letters! lol).

Sorry about the problems, it was really not under our control (even our company website has been FUBAR for a week. It's darn frustrating!).

OK, I have a new, permanent location for the Stress Course for Liaison Engineers and solution manual PDF files:

Stress_Course_for_Liasion_Engineers.pdf
Aircraft_Structures_for_Engineers___Solutions.pdf

Go to this HTTP location right click on the desired file(s), copy to your computer where you like. If you double click on either of the files, ADOBE Reader opens up so you can see the file directly.

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can still send me email and I'll send you the two files.

Just a quick note to all as I keep getting requests, please use prosts site.

Also, by the way, I just want to clear up one misunderstanding about the notes. These course notes are NOT a MACAIR document, I mispoke in the very first email. The course notes are simply a set of old informal clasroom textbook training notes which air force liasion stress engineers were given and were not classified or proprietary material and were not official in any manner shape or form. They were just plain textbook type problems and solutions for structures related work which were given as part of training for liasion engineers. So, there is no reference document number, title, or code related to it. Its simply unofficial course notes no different than those you would have had in any aircraft structures book and which you could obtain from any number of good books such as Bruhn. The only benefit is that the problems are made to relate to practical problems. Hope that answers everyones questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back