Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training your replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkUMSU

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2006
US
What would you do if you suspected you were going to be laid off at the end of the month and were being asked to begin training your successor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This would be illegal in Europe. Unless you are redundant (or incompetent/insubordinate) you cannot be laid off. I guess you could be asked to train someone so that there are two people doing the same job. Then one of them could be declared redundant at a later date.

This is interesting! I am in Europe.

But this would be for a consulting contract that is ending and probably not going to be renewed. -So I guess "laid off" may not be the correct terminology.

If it where for a possible none-renewal of time-limited contract or possible none 'new engagement for a coming project':

Ask for your chances, your asking would probably not alter the 'hard facts'.

Reaction: If negative or neutral : Try to argument in a reasonable and positive way, don't burn your bridges, there could always be a next crossroad.

That would actually be your job, if we were to believe the spiel from consultancies. The idea is that the knowledge gets shared around.

Local definition of a consultant "someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time"

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I went ahead and trained my replacement to the best of my ability while I looked elsewhere for a position. The company I was working for at the time had been purchased and my job was going to be exported. I preferred not to relocate.

With your contract ending and apparently not being renewed, I assume either you preferred remaining a contract consultant and did not express permanent interest in the position or the company has determined that someone else might be a better "fit". Either way, I would recommend training them as best you can and call it good at that.

Regards,

If your original contract did not include you to train your replacement, I would not do it. I typically work to my contract's scope, and if trainng is not part of that scope, then I decline politely.

It's no different than if they hired you as a mechanical engineer, and then asked you to do some electrical transformer design (assuming you have the skills). The contract is the governing document. If it's not in the contract, then it is not in the contract. If nothing else, my rates are different for what I do.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

If you are being replaced against your will, the professional response is to provide your replacement with the information he needs to do the job. There is no need to give him the knowledge that will actually get the job done (e.g. "this is the phone number for the company supplying parts xyz". but no need to mention that "if you ask for Mr ABC he's always really helpful and will get what you need. Their switchboard is a nightmare and you'll be chasing your tail for weeks trying to get that part without his help"!)

--interesting insights.

As a new business owner I would like my first clients to provide good references for those that will come after them.

I think that offering training within the context and topics of the deliverables my assignment here is reasonable and I will not withhold any information/knowledge/know-how that was applied towards reaching those results.

Einstein said, "The more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know." -Maybe they'll ask me for more help when they have extra funding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back