Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering solids from Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeartheHairless

Automotive
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have been looking for a good way to transfer a solid from IDEAS to Catia V4. Any ideas?
Right now, I transfer to iges and then to Catia. But during this, I lose my solids and just get surfaces. I then have to rebuild my solids.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bear the Hairless [bear]

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

if u r working on ideas9m3, then u can use the interoperatibility function where u can directly save an ideas file as a parasolid format.

then u can open that parasolid file in UGNX, and make a saveas as catia model say 123.model.

if that model is not a solid, then u may have a make it a solid in catia V5 and then save it as .model from V5.

Hi,
We do: I-DEAS9 -> STEP -> Catia V5 -> .model for Catia V4
If you have license for STEP module, you could import directly STEP into Catia V4.

--
VnPenguin

lymac,
Thanks for the post, but we only have Ideas9m1. And we don't have UGNX.

vnpenguin,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am having some problems with it. When I open the file in V5, all I can see is the structure tree in the upper left corner, no solids or lines. I am wondering if I am exporting wrong from Ideas or importing wrong into V5(I don't know much yet about V5)Can you tell me the settings I should be using on either side. And I also tried to save as a V4 file. It only gives me the option to save as a catia product, not a .model file. What am I missing there? Thanks again for all the help.

Bear the Hairless [bear]

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

Hi,

When I export IGES from I-deas models for import to CATIA V5, I sometimes have better results selecting the volume in I-deas instead of the part. When it comes into CATIA V5 it is a dumb solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back