Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transfering solids from Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeartheHairless

Automotive
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have been looking for a good way to transfer a solid from IDEAS to Catia V4. Any ideas?
Right now, I transfer to iges and then to Catia. But during this, I lose my solids and just get surfaces. I then have to rebuild my solids.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Bear the Hairless [bear]

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

if u r working on ideas9m3, then u can use the interoperatibility function where u can directly save an ideas file as a parasolid format.

then u can open that parasolid file in UGNX, and make a saveas as catia model say 123.model.

if that model is not a solid, then u may have a make it a solid in catia V5 and then save it as .model from V5.

Hi,
We do: I-DEAS9 -> STEP -> Catia V5 -> .model for Catia V4
If you have license for STEP module, you could import directly STEP into Catia V4.

--
VnPenguin

lymac,
Thanks for the post, but we only have Ideas9m1. And we don't have UGNX.

vnpenguin,
Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly I am having some problems with it. When I open the file in V5, all I can see is the structure tree in the upper left corner, no solids or lines. I am wondering if I am exporting wrong from Ideas or importing wrong into V5(I don't know much yet about V5)Can you tell me the settings I should be using on either side. And I also tried to save as a V4 file. It only gives me the option to save as a catia product, not a .model file. What am I missing there? Thanks again for all the help.

Bear the Hairless [bear]

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

Hi,

When I export IGES from I-deas models for import to CATIA V5, I sometimes have better results selecting the volume in I-deas instead of the part. When it comes into CATIA V5 it is a dumb solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back