Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transmissibility vs. Frequency Plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jradio

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2013
US
Does anyone know of a way to obtain a transmissibility (Q) vs. frequency plot in ANSYS Workbench 14.0? From what I understand, it's possible to obtain it through commands, but my MAPDL coding skills aren't that strong, so I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jradio,

Just to be clear, you want the transmissibility as in the transmitted forces through or onto and object, as you would see from a vibrations or control systems analysis, correct? Sometimes the term has other engineering uses, so I want to be clear. :) Or are you trying to use this with Maxwell to do an electromagnetic analysis?

Second, you should be able to do this with code, as you stated. I will need to review my coding material later, but essentially I believe you may need to define your own variable set, using program defined functions for inputs and then use a probe to monitor your output.

However, the manner of which you would go about this will vary upon what method you are using to model this all. Are you using a "Modal" or "Response Spectrum" analysis? Or a 'rigid body dynamics' set up? Different parts of the newer system at times will need the code adjustments,from Python for the Workbench system itself or the traditional APDL commands.

~ Kherszal

It's kinda funny that I'm getting and answer now since just today, actually, I may have figured it out. But I'm always on the lookout for better ways!

First, yes your definition of transmissibility is correct and is exactly what I'm looking for. Second, I was looking to get this from either a response spectrum analysis or a harmonic analysis. I wasn't aware that this was something you could get from a modal analysis, so I'm very interested in that method, if you have a way!

The method that I have solves a harmonic analysis using a displacement load at the boundary conditions and measuring the output displacement at a node divided by whatever input displacement that I set (typically I'll just use 1 inch) using the quot command and then output the results onto a graph. If you see anything wrong with this method, please let me know. And thanks for responding! I appreciate your help with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back