Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transport of Tested PSV's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirlmere

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2010
AU
Hi Guys,
first post, so be gentle with me :)
I need to come up with a way of transporting freshly tested PSV's to site.
They will be on the back of a truck and the roads will be rough.
It is currently the clients procedure not to transport tested PSV's, but to test them at their specific location and fit.
That procedure will be changing shortly and they have asked if i can come up with a way of transporting them without damaging the seats.
Possibly some sort of cradle, not sure, just throwing ideas out there.

Does anyone use, or has used a method or piece of equipment that will do the job.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The guys pick them up from our Safety Valve Test/Repair Shop, put them in the back of their buggy/golf cart, and drive to the field. If the PSV is small it goes in a bucket. If it's large, it lays in the back. No special ride or rules. The plant speed limit is 11.5 mph. It's been this way for decades, and knock on wood, no problems that we know of. I think in most cases, this concern is much to do over nothing. There may be some rare cases to consider, but . . . reasonable care will usually work.

However, I understand the client relationship. Some tough, flexible work mats for the back of the truck will help for the PSVs and more! Do NOT pack them in styrfoam peanuts or something similar, someone will install the PSV with them still packed into the PSV inlet!

Good luck,
Latexman

Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately some of our guys may have to travel 4 hours through rough australian outback on terrible tracks, so the PSV's could take a bit of a hammering en-route.

Thanks

How would you possibly sample a UV valve once it gets to site? If you could sample the valve, you might as well install a test bench and do the resets on site. The other possible issue is that we've had a few people tell us that the PSV's need to be transported upright. I've never verified this but it seems like a reasonable expectation.

Most sites I've worked (within one company) had test benches we used for non-code/non-UV testing. One site I gained the ability to adjustment within spring range of all UV valves from the State Inspector.

If test sites were not close we required VR test data accompany the valve, for legal concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back