Transport/shipping of new valves or after re-calibration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnar

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2023
NO
Hi!
After a discussion with a vendor. Does any of you have a specific requirement how to transport a PRV? The question should be relevant both for new valves from manufacturer as after re-calibration in repair shop.
From my knowledge the practice have always been that PRVs shall be transported with stem in vertical position. Searching in the standards like ASME BPV code, API526 and API RP576.
In API RP576 it written in chapt. 5.9.2 During shipment:
............Pressure-relief valves should be braced and shipped in an upright position - this is especially true of large valves and valves with low set pressure..........

It is written as "should" and not "shall" so it's only a recommendation.
Can it be written in some other standards or do we have a "best practice" to refer to?
Kind regards
Magnar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It really comes down to the practicality of what you are shipping. Sure it is recommended that Pressure-relief Valves are shipped in the upright position, with the spindle vertical. However, this is not always possible, due to packing, logistics, lifting etc. etc. I can tell you that when I was at a major manufacturer back in the day, almost all PRV's were packed laying down on the side, especially larger sizes. Having visited another major manufacturers workshop a few years ago, the same was done. What is important, is that the PRV is tested just before it is installed. In my opinion, whether you ship sideways or upright, the handling and knocking during shipping will be the same. Testing and inspection just before installation is hence recommended, in addition to standard receipt inspection (damaged packing/valve etc.).

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the ASME/API used term ***

Thank you for feedback.
To be honest my thoughts are: "It is always possible"! The thing is that "the impossible thing takes a bit longer time", but it will be possible.
"Recommended" is from my understanding the same as the word "should" in the standard. The strange thing is that in the "Repair standard" API RP576 it is mentioned something about transport, but not in the "purchase specification standard" API 526.
And absolutely agree. It's important to check tightness and set pressure before the valve are installed in the line. But that is also not written anywhere.
It does seems to be different "best practice" from manufacturer to manufacturer. API 526 have a chapter, Capter 10.2 Preparation for shipment. Unfortunately this chapter do not say anything about the packing.

So from from what I understand there is nothing else written than the sentence in API RP576?
Kind regards

Magnar

As per my experience it is normal PSVs are transported horizontal. For illustration see an excerpt from Leser's manual:

1.png

I can't see anything in the referenced standards. Not even in ASME XIII, ISO-4126 or NBIC-13. Note that none of the statements made in API are mandatory. It is up to the user to follow them. API-576 is also relevant for later maintenance not necessarily for manufacturer shipping. All manufacturers will have their own preferred method as per the example above.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the ASME/API used term ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back