Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trig function table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProEDesigner00

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2003
US
I would like to build a table that will solve all factors of a triangle with two given random factors. I would like to do this in 2 columns and 6 rows. the first column would be the input of two factors, the second column would be the solve of the remaining factors. I have deduced in my simple understanding of excel that I might accomplish this with alot of if then statements. I know nothing of VBA functions. if someone might be explicite in instructing me or sharing with me something allready in existence I would appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what do you mean by factors - do you want to put in one angle and one length, and get all the other angles and lengths (for example)? If that's what you mean, then i think you'll find that your triangles are underconstrained (indeterminate).

I agree with Mike. You would need to input three and solve the remaining three of the six total parameters (3 angles and three lengths).

If you are going to have 6 columns and expect to input on any 3 (programmer doesn't know which 3), it sounds like a tough problem (at least without vba). I think you'll need to keep your input and your output in a different place. The equations will look at the input and decide which two are given and populate the 6 items on the output from there.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

It will not be easy to do this on one "section" of a sheet, but it can be done on several "sections". I have a worksheet with 6 sections, each one having 6 rows, and 2 columns. Mine is dumbed down like this:

Height
Base
Hypotenuse
Angle A
Angle B
Angle C

Each "section" needs only 2 inputs, and the rest is input automatically. For example, If I only know the Height and Base variables, I just pick the section missing those values. You will not need trig for some of these because the pythagorean theorem is easy to use.

Alse, a triangle is 180 degrees, and if you have 1 angle, then you only need to subtract that one and 90 degrees (right triangle remember) from 180 and the answer is the missing angle.

Do a "thread number" search here for "770-128136" (Using sin, cosine, and tan in excel) and I have put a few examples on Excel trig functions.

Flores

I guess my first post was not completely right. The input cannot be any three random inputs. It has to include at least one length. (3 angles doesn't solve the problem).

Good point. Two sides and an angle can have two solutions.

To streamline your input, have an input cell that defines what knowns are being input, similar to the triangle solver that IRstuff provided a link for.
That input cell could be set up with data validation for 1,2,3,4 for the 4 different combiination types of input known data.
The function CHOOSE is a bit more efficient than the IF function. It will perform a "If,then Go To" sort of function to 4 different cells which each can have your tringle solver formulas.

Try this method, for each calculation to determine the unknown angle or length, use a combination of if statements, test pairs of inputs by testing that the multiple is greater than 0, otherwise set the cell to zero. Then use a max(range) for each unknown to display the results in a known area. The calculation "matrix" can be hidden anywhere on the spreadsheet.

Mark Hutton

Hi folks

IRstuff Nice reference page. I should clarify myself in stating a right triangle solver. Simular to the page located at this link.

In this page you use two known values and the rest follow. It would be great to get a graphical representaion as well.

I have 6 rows set up as

Angle a =
Angle b = 90
Angle c =

side op =
Side adj =
side Hyp =

The results co;um would be adjacent to the input column

Check out the web site and let me know what you think.

Wolf

I want to apply this to a spread sheet. I am not familiar with doing so by determining whether to use VBA or IF Then statements or Other statements.

I dont have time to try and learning it by experiemntation. If you could advise please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back