Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trimming in Drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjd

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2009
IE
Im using Solid Edge V20 Academic. In Drawing, I'm trying to create a bend by drawing two tangent lines to a circle, then trimming the part of the circle I don't need. This works fine when creating a part. But in Drawing, when I want to trim the circle at the tangent points, it highlights the entire circle instead, basically its deleting the intire circle, not actually trimming. Is this a limitation of the Academic version, or am I missing something?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This should work exactly the same as it does within a profile / sketch. There should be no reason at all for the academic version to be different to the commercial version.

You will probably find that one or both of your lines are not connected to the circle.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

If you have Maintan Relationships ON, and Relationship Handles visible you should see the connect and tangent relationships in your draft file

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Got that working thanks. I have two drawings, both cross-sections (front and side) that I want to create a 3D rendering from. Whats the best/fastest/easiest way of achieving this given that I am working with V20 Academic? Looking at the help section on 2D and 3D, the 3D is done in Draft mode. I don't see the Draft option in the Tools menu.

There seems to be a little confusion here.
Drawings are 2D
Models are 3D - that is what you would create your renderings from.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

I want to create a 3D model view from 2D drawings and subsequently a 3D rendering. The only thing in the help section I can find is 2D Geometry - creating 3D sketches.
In following the steps, it asks for a Template file, select the assembly, part, or sheet metal template you want to use to create the document. It doesn't cater for 2D sketches. I'm a bit lost on this.

Your terminology is very mixed up.
You have a 2D drawing and want to create a 3D model.
From this model you want rendered images.
Is this correct?
There is a way of creating a 3D model directly from the 2D graphics of a draft file. However, this would not be my recommended way for an inexperienced user.
The simple way is to first generate your 2D views in a DRAFT file (.dft). For this example I will assume you created 3 views - front, plan and right elevation.
(You could also use geometry imported into a .dft from another system such as AutoCad)
Next create a PART file.
In the part file you have 3 planes.
Create a sketch on the top plane and then copy and paste the graphics from the draft file plan view into this sketch.
Close the sketch.
Now repeat the process on the front plane using the front view graphics, and the right plane using the right view graphics. Make sure corresponding points/lines align in the 3 sketches.
You should now have enough information in the part file to start creating protrusions and cuts.

Having gone through this, you should really be creating the sketches directly in the part file, and the generating the drawing from that - you don't draw the views in a draft file and then create the model.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

RPJD,

Try the first tutorial. The tutorial demonstrates a typical workflow for modeling parts.

From the help system
Tutorials help you get started with Solid Edge quickly. Each tutorial gives step-by-step instructions for completing a small project with Solid Edge. Illustrations show exactly what to do at each step and help you stay on track.

This will give you a grounding in terminolgy and basic methods. I understand what you are trying to achieve, but basics first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back