Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

truck turn templates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSainte

Civil/Environmental
Feb 20, 2002
US
Does anyone know where I can obtain hard copy truck turn templates on transparent film? I don't want a program.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A publication by the Freight Transport Association (UK) called "Designing For Deliveries"

This has scaled drawings of turning circles and hammer head turns for various types of vehicle. You can photocopy the drawings ont transparencies for use as overlays on your drawings. Andy Machon

You might also be able to copy them out of "Architectural Graphical Standards". They have turns drawn. I haven't seen a new copy so I don't know if it has the new extended tractors and 50' trailers. Imagineer

Unless you are able to hold an axis pretty still, I recommend that you use a computer program or be conservative. We have found since using Autoturn(one program available) our designs do allow trucks to manupulate turns then the designs the templates put out. Obviously the templates are the same, it is how accurate the hand placement was which was critical. I assume u draw in a axis and curve/radius to follow?

Remember turning templates (and programs) are only indicative that a manouver can be achieved, real drivers may face other hazards that are not identified on the turning drawing or program, such as signs, mature trees, etc.

Better of to be conservative in both templates and programs as the real world is very different from the design world.

sc

Hi CSainte:
How have you made out on finding hard copy truck turning templates. Since they need to vary for scale and truck. we have several which we xeroxed from various DOT or design charts. There are various films that work with copy machines. If you email me at my work: whna@fast.net
I would fax or mail you a particular one or look up template reference that you could obtain. If faxed, scale would need to be adjusted in a copy machine with zoom.
If manually drafting, the paper template can be slipped under the mylar or vellum and traced with circle template, curve, etc.
Sorry not a prompter response but I am still catching up on my "eng tips" review.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back