Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to match DIN WK numbers to source standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruv

Materials
Feb 19, 2002
GB
Hi

I have two DIN specifications with matching Wk numbers, and I am trying to find the source DIN/ISO standard. An extensive search by two of us has so far not found anything. They are

11 NiMoV 5 3, Wk 1.6341

GS14NiCrMo 106, Wk 1.6779

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Perhaps what confuses you is that Werkstoffnummern are not used exclusively by DIN standards.

Indeed, there are at least two additional German institutions that employ the same designation, i.e. VDEh (Verein Deutscher Eisenhuettenleute, German for "Iron and Steel Institute") and VdTÜV (Verband der Technischen Überwachungs-Vereine, German for "Association of Technical Monitoring Clubs"). Both have their own material specifications, named respectively SEW (Stahl Eisen Werkstoffblatt) and WB (Werkstoffblatt); and in this case, they both cover the materials you are looking for:

Actually there is also a third one, the BWB (Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffung, German for Federal Office of Defense Technology and Procurement). In this case, the specifications are WL (Werkstoffleistungsblätter) and to my knowledge they cover aerospace material grades.

What you are identifying are the alloy compositions. The Wk# should correspond to the alloys you associated them with, but the alloys could be used in many different specifications based on product, form, and function. Wk# alloys can be referenced in DIN, ISO, and EN standards. You will need to do the legwork to find the application standard that includes your alloy.

According to Stahlschlussel 2013:

1.6341 11NiMoV5-3 DIN SEW 028 (05/1993)
1.6779 G14NiCrMo10-6; GS-14 NiCrMo 10 6 † DIN SEW 520 (09/1996), DIN SEW 685 (03/2000)

I cannot tell for 1.6341, but 1.6779 is in both mentioned standards.

Dalin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back