Industrial
Sep 2, 2017
SA
Hello Everyone,
A newbie here.
Construction Code : ASME VIII Div 1
Qualification Code : ASME IX

Background :
A T-TS mock up PQR has been welded with a seal weld (one pass with filler), which is 3mm Fillet. Even though there is no Groove in its joint design, but it was having a counter sinking of 0.5mm R on the edges of tubesheet holes.

Question: Does the PQR get qualified in position for 5F only (considering its only fillet weld) or would it be having 5F+5G (considering there the edges to the root side of fillet is a bit machined for 0.5mm).?

looking forward to your quick help guys.
Thanks [glasses]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These mock up pieces are generally specific to each individual exchanger. Since your heat exchanger (on which the mock up is based) did not have any groove, you qualify for fillet only.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

I have always seen people do mock tube/tubesheet welds and then test those.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

@Dhurjati :
Thanks

@Edstainless :
You are definitely right,

Still need some clarification : wouldn't we consider 0.5mm Radius on Tubesheet hole as a "groove".? Even though if it's a seal weld (i.e. fillet weld) but still it doesn't look any different than a macro-graph of Groove+Fillet weld Joint.?

Please see attached.

1599988879279711215432066232030_spbhc6.jpg

Hi
Please refer QG-109.2 of ASME Sec.IX.
You will find defination for same.
Refer defination for "weld size : groove weld"

"The depth of chamfering plus any penetration beyond the chamfering, resulting in the strength carrying dimension of the weld."

It means its depand on your TTJ joint design which required or not.
Well in my opinion it will be groove+fillet.
For TTJ groove weld always there but in seal welding fillet will not applicable.

I also faced problems with Inspection agencies and clients related to positions, some of then understand and of them didn't believed
To avoid unnecessary arguments, I m considering in SP (special position).
Generaly equipment TTJ position will same.

zees,
What are you actually trying to achieve here ?
0.5 mm cannot be classed as weld preparation so you have a fillet weld.(IMHO)
Regards,
Shane

@Appreciated

@Thanks a lot,
Can you please refer to any clause relating to "Special position" ,It will be really helpful for me. as i could only find "SP - special process" in ASME IX.

@Thanks for your valued opinion,
I truly get your point, can you please share why cant we consider 0.5mm chamfer a part of weld as it's already being fused & getting integrated in weld joint?

@Please refer QW-124 & WW-303.3 of ASME Sec.IX for Special Position.
That position which not covered in QW-120 to QW-123. Means all figure of position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back