Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tubing Snap Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregfox

Bioengineer
Mar 15, 2007
US
Tubing Snap Fit
I wanted to make a plastic (Polyethylene, 0.09” thick) snap holder for some tubing (0.625”). It would be hand pressed on, and be allowed to be easily removed. The snaps would be similar to “C” shaped holders for ratchet tools or a Saddle foot chair glide on a tubular chair leg.

My question is about the amount of contact, and the bending equation for the snaps. Obviously if the C was only as high as the center, the tub would not stay, so the arms of the C would have to extend past the half way point. The C would be near the diameter of the tubes. I just wanted some form of analytical way to find this out, outside of guessing. The forces on the tubing is no more than the that required to not have the C fall off.

Sorry if this is vague...
Greg

Fox Manufacturing Group

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About doing a trial and error procedure. Get tubing with .09" wall thicknesses and cut several sections of varying lengths and arcs; drill holes for screws and suspend the .625" tube and see the results.

I could cut some material, but wanted to understand the dynamics too. this applies to the FEA too. It would help in demolding as well as I was thinking of the part being molded with a mold opening in the plane of the open C's

the tubes or rods are solid steel.

Fox Manufacturing Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back