Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbo Generator Water Chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bekza

Electrical
Oct 7, 2004
ZA
Hi

A question below:
1. what are the advantages of operating stator water chemisty at low oxyen elevated PH. I recently experienced high copper from the water, oxygen, ph, conductivity levels all ok. iron slightly out.
2. what is the safest dew point when operating h2-water cooled machine? is dew point based on stator water temps?
3. What impact will generator that is designed to operate at 40 deg.cel inlet stator water and then inlet temperature is decreased to 35 de.cel. Ambient temp is normally at 36 deg.cel.
4. When doing on line monitoring on one of the units, i saw partial discharge increasing to high values and coming from the line terminal bushing chamber, what could be the source, some suggested CTs but no volatge on the CT as far as i know, bushings were cleaned off contaminations.

Please advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bekza:

Cooling water with a pH of 8.5 to 9 has the advantage that the formation of copper oxide products is reduced to a minimum. This in turn is minimizing possible clogging of hollow conductors. Only one generator manufacturer is sucessfully implementing this elevated pH technique. Just ask the supplier of your generator.

A sudden high copper level in the cooling water system means that you disturbed the water chemistry. Don't play around with the system by experimenting and taking an excessive number of water samples. Leave the system alone.

What you mean with "iron slightly out"?

An ambient temperature of 36 degrees C is irrelevant for a H2 cooled generator. Its the hydrogen temperature inside the generator that counts.

Regards

Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back