Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbo V Engine - Exhaust Manifold Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandnew

Structural
Mar 5, 2002
US
Looking for insight on designing/routing exhaust manifolds for a single turbo on a V6/V8 engine.

Lately the trend has been to go with parallel twin turbo but I'm looking to go to a single turbo in this application. Unfortunately, due to the twin turbo trend I'm having trouble finding infomation on the common methods of routing the EM to the turbochargers.

I'm looking for information on the common routing. Do you try to make the two EM's the same length??

I'm planning on modifing the existing EM's for this project if the sizing turns out to be approptiate. Existing EM's are the "collector style" (not seperate pipe "header style"). What can be done to increase viability of this type of EM?

Any links/books/information you can provide on the common routing of V6/V* EM's for single turbo's would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how much power are you trying to make? If this is a relatively low boost, low hp deal (15psi, 1.25-1.5hp/cu in) then I don't know if it matters that much. Obv. you need a balance tube connecting the 2 sides. I would think trying to get the turbo close to the middle would make the most sense? That way it can 'see' all the cylinders more equally.

This may be one of those deals that unless you're really trying to wring out a lot of hp for a race application, it won't matter a great deal.

I'm interested to see what others have found in real world testing

powered by
Wayne Township Speedshop

Thanks for the reply.

Planning to run the car in two settings: street and track. Street will run about 5psi; track will run around 12psi. At the highest boost it should be around 2.0-2.1 hp/cu in.

Can you expound the on the balance tube (cross-pipe)?? I've seen them referred to (and even shown) a few times but I haven't seen a lot of detail on them.

FYI: This will be on a 2.8L V6. I already have a twin turbo so I understand the in's and out's; but a single turbo's on V-engines is a new direction I wanted to go.

well, just thinking out loud, but I think most single turbo systems applied to street cars just hack a flange onto one of the exhaust manifolds, and then run a cross pipe about the same diameter as the tailpipes used on the car over to the other side along the bottom of the tranny. This would be the worst way to do it IMO, as the turbo won't see the other bank very well at all.

A full on race car will usually put a thumper up front and have piping similar to a twin turbo, just that the 2 banks merge before going into the turbine. I would try to do it this way if possible. Fittment into a street car might be impossible however.