Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turning radius for a drive through 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayou66

Industrial
Jun 12, 2007
US
I am trying to get good information on the minimum requirements for turning radius or radii for a typical drive through window - like at a Starbucks of Mickey D's. Is there a good standard to go by?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a Micky D's, we followed their prototype which called for a 20' inside radius, 12' wide lane.

For a Taco Bell, a 25' inside radius, 13' wide lane was used. Don't recall if that was a T.B. standard, or was increased to better accommodate pickup trucks.

Thanks for the answer with the 2 examples. I am just an architect, but I am sure that it is always bad practice to just go to a place and see what they did. The request for a standard number - so the answer to go visit a place is no answer at all and suggests why bad design is so easily found. Its usually done by lazy people.

i wouldnt get all worked up about a suggestion to go look at something that has been built, there are plenty of drive-thrus i have gone thru personally that i can say were pretty poorly planned and designed or someone just cheated along the way.

A 20' radius is going to give you plenty or room to pass a f-350 or something of that nature comfortably, this is not something that is regulated so there is no set standard.

p.s. dont forget to have the driver side window pull up to the cashier window, seriously i have seen that one before

if you have the room try providing a some space thru the drive aisle and called it an escape lane. a dunkin donuts layout i recently did, we showed an 18' wide lane (where we could) and called out 8' of it the escape lane. the planning board absolutley loved this idea of not being boxed into the drive thru aisle in the event of an emergency or just a change of heart.

Autoturn can show you the wheelpaths of the design vehicle on your design too. I'd expect that your client would have a required design vehicle that they would want to make through the drive up window.

It has been awhile since I used autoturn, but it is a software that basically runs a template of wheel paths on your site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back