Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning Rotary Lime Kiln with Crane in emergency situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpennell1

Industrial
Sep 17, 2012
US
I am looking for some information regarding the torque required to turn a rotary lime kiln with a crane, when kiln is loaded and the kiln drive gear has failed. We have a kiln drive gear that is in very bad shape and the delivery time for the new pinion and girth gear is a few weeks out. Thank you in advance for any help and or suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, can you calculate the torque required to roll the kiln with the normal drive? I assume this is a motor and gear drive????

rmw

RMW,
Yes, I will be determining the torque required to turn kiln with auxiliary drive motor. Just wondering if anyone has run into a similar problem and had a torque value for turning kiln with mobile crane. Thanks for the response.

Kpennell1

We ran into this problem last year when the drive shaft sheared. It took about a 200 Ton Crane to rotate our kiln. However, now we are having problems with our Bull Gear Alignment. It makes you wonder if rotating the kiln by the bull gear frame was actually worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back