Status
Not open for further replies.

mantahead

Automotive
Feb 19, 2017
GB
hi,
hello i am new here.
i just read an interesting thread on here on valve spring pressure and boost.

i have built a diesel mercedes drift car with home built exhaust manifold, scania turbo(holset hx52, 13cm exhaust housing)eaton m112 supercharger. Engine is straight 6, 3 litre, 24 valve idi with mechanical Dieselmeken injector pump.

the problem i have is multiple misfire in low revs under load, light grey smoke followed by a pop and then as soon as the wheels break traction the engine clears and is sweet all the way to the redline.
If i remove the supercharger it is not near as bad but still there.
i think my problem is valve springs are not strong enough.
i overspeeded the supercharger to give me quick spool up for the turbo and bypass flap then opens and relieves the supercharger,i was running 2.66 drive ratio over crank, i then reduced it to 1.77 over crank.
Also i have a major overheating of coolant, although exhaust gas temps remain ok.
the supercharger feeds the turbo, then the turbo feeds the engine as normal, i think the small exhaust housing on the turbo(13cm)is restricting and causing back presssure in low rpm, the two external wastegates open at 2.1 bar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd try the truck radiator _instead_of_ the alloy one; the water capacity probably matters less then the developed fin area and the tube and fin material.

Putting a radiator in the trunk adds weight, both for the pipes and for whatever aero you need to get air through it, plus the power to run more fan motors.

A long time ago, I saw a picture of a Corvair that had an oil cooler installed like a sail, projecting up from the l/r fender. It looked illegal as hell, but I think it was within the letter of whatever rules he was racing under, and it worked well enough.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back