Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two coincident line bodies with two different cross sections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6a12e54

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2012
ID
Hi,

This is my first post. I hope anyone of you will help me.

This is my simplification model:
1. A beam with length of 1000mm
2. The cross section is T-shaped

Instead of using User Defined cross section (DesignModeler), I prefer to create two line bodies with two different cross section (which are two rectangle box). I had already use the Add Frozen and Form New Part features of the DesignModeler.

When I simulate it using Modal Analysis, the two beams are move independently.

I had already try the Joint and Connect features of DesignModeler and Connection in Modal, but it did not work. Is there any way to glued the two beams? Kindly please review my attachment.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had already found the answer.
One way of glued the two beams are by dividing the line bodies so there are some nodes between the end.

Please reply this when you have another way.

Thanks.

I used the command NUMMRG to "glue" two "cylinders" sections of two coincident beams and assign different materials, it works fine.

I have had very good results using the joint feature in DesignModeler (I basically stopped using Share Topology altogether when dealing with surfaces and lines) for line bodies and surface bodies to share nodes (thereby be connected) when meshed.

When my lines were in-plane with a surface, they would always share nodes with surfaces and, if intersecting with lines, with other line bodies too. If you have only lines bodies (no surfaces) I guess it can be a little tricky to determine if they actually intersect in 3D, though using the Joint feature should reveal if the line bodies got split at the intersection during the joining.

If you have a hard time getting them to properly intersect, for the Joint feature to work, you can start py adding a Construction Point (I guess the equivalent of a node) in DesignModeler and let the line bodies start/end there. But really the more I think about it, the line bodies WILL be joint together if they are created, say, in the same sketch plane.

I would prefer getting the model correct/joined together over using the "nummrg" Ansys Classic command.

Christian Hansen
Twitter: @ChrHansen

FEA consulting made easy -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back